AA Dump pics

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Hardhatz
Body Type: Dump
Model Year: 1931

AA Dump pics

Post by Hardhatz »

Here is my 31 AA dump. It was purchased new by a mine near Lone Pine California that produced the insulator material for Champion Spark Plugs. A large excavator bucket was dropped on it, bending the frame, and the mine sold it to Gramps. He bought it in 33-34, fixed it, and it has been in the family since then.

It has a B motor, which was rebuilt in the late 60s soon before it was parked. It has a hydraulic dump which has 2 "L"=shaped levers under the seat on the right that operate it. The tires are Wards, and were new in about 1960. I remember they were quite smashed under loads of coal (with tall sideboards) weighing over 4 tons. Loaded like that, it would not get above 3rd gear.

Starting when I was about 6, I used to drive it all over the farm. Later, I would use the bed & a chain to pull fence posts.

Here are some pics, hopefully someone can tell me what kind of dump body it has.

I will be using the cab & front body on an A frame that I bought, which has 40 brakes and 32 wires on it. I will add a VW 1.9 TDI engine, a modern overdrive transmission, and air conditioning, while retaining the old-timey look.

Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A
Model Year: 1930

Re: AA Dump pics

Post by Chris Haynes »

Too bad you are gonna destroy another AA. :(
Hardhatz

Post by Hardhatz »

I certainly respect your opinion on that Chris. But, as a stock AA dump it will probably never move again, as I don't have the time, money, interest, or space to invest in something I would not be able to use at all. This way, it will live on, while the AA parts will hopefully breathe new life into someone else's project.
I will keep the "B" motor around, just in case I decide to build it up & put a T5 behind it.

If it is in the family another 75 years, and racks up a couple hundred k miles, I don't think that's a bad thing. Alternative points of view always welcome.
rollingsculpture
Body Type: platform

Post by rollingsculpture »

whats a t5?

Hey Chris why so harsh, the man had this in the family for 75 years hes entitled to do as he pleases with his property. also as the man said hes going to sell the parts off to those who are looking for parts that is a god send especially if they are reasonably priced ,you can buy it if you have the dough might even help you on one of your many projects, its not like hes going to the scrapper with it, like oldtinpusher did with that truck he listed a couple months ago. nobody flamed him and i would have to say there was something fishy going on there with that one !!!
Last edited by rollingsculpture on July 6th, 2009, 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
oldtinpusher

Post by oldtinpusher »

The t5 is a modern ford transmission. Many hot rodders use it as it bolts up to the model A bell housing.
colemantrucks

Post by colemantrucks »

If you post a few more photos of the dump box I may be able to identify it for you. Photos of the hoist would help. I just put a dump truck together. I looked at a lot of boxes.

At this point it looks like a Galion or a St Paul.
DAN CHALMERS
Body Type: 82B

Post by DAN CHALMERS »

is that mechanical linkage going to the distributor ? Dan C.
mikeg
Site Admin
Body Type: 150B

Post by mikeg »

OK folks, I've done a bit of editing to above posts when they started getting personal.

Lets keep the topics about the trucks and not start slinging insults at each other.

This board up until recently has been moderation free, but for the first time ever I edited two posts and removed one entirely.

Keep it civil and ON TOPIC.

Thanks!
Hardhatz

Post by Hardhatz »

Dan, it does have a mechanical advance, if I understood your question right. The left lever on the column, as I recall. Raise it to hand-crank, down to run.

Colemantrucks, right now it's in Washington & I'm in Southern California, so I will ask if anyone up there can get some digital pics of the hoist. I can say that it has a cylinder lying flat, with a "T" on the ram having metal wheels that go into something like "scissors" to create the lift. I once got it very high and was shaking it to dislodge something, and it went over center, (about the 1 o clock position) and I had to pull it back with a chain. There was a lever a bit like an inverted 7 at the back that would release the lower hinge of the tailgate for dumping.
Chris Haynes

Post by Chris Haynes »

rollingsculpture wrote:whats a t5?

Hey Chris why so harsh, the man had this in the family for 75 years hes entitled to do as he pleases with his property.

Harsh?
Have you ever looked at the ad's for running chassis on Fordbarn or eBay? This is a disaster for the model A community. Rat Rodders are buying up Model A's at a rapid pace just to get the body. I have seen them buy fine restored cars, lift the body and put the rest on eBay or other venues. The body then winds up channeled on a rod. At this rate A's are disappearing rapidly.
This dump truck looks to be a fine specimen. One that I would be happy to own. But instead it is going to be destroyed forever by someone who doesn't give a hoot about our hobby.
If he wants to build a rod why not locate a cab from an already stripped out truck? Cabs appear on eBay and at swap meets. It just sickens me to see a good truck project be destroyed.
I think it is harsh that people standby and let these 80 year old survivors be destroyed.
There outta be a law,,,,,
Hardhatz

Post by Hardhatz »

If some believe that putting newer Ford brakes and rims and a power upgrade (all of which is totally reversible) on an otherwise stock 31 Ford is a crime, or that it is selfish to keep it in the family rather than passing it to a purist, I have no argument to offer. Chances are those Gentlemen are smarter & more experienced than I.

I posted the story for the interest of anyone who might enjoy it, and apologize to those who found it offensive.

I think that the reason so many As & esp AAs end up as rods is because they are not really drivable in today's environment. In a day when rural people drove 20-30 MPH, and nobody had brakes, it was a little different than today.
Chris Haynes

Post by Chris Haynes »

I drove my AA on the streets and freeways of Los Angeles for years and will continue to do so when it is back up.
But if you carefully re-read this is what he said.
"I will be using the cab & front body on an A frame that I bought, which has 40 brakes and 32 wires on it. I will add a VW 1.9 TDI engine, a modern overdrive transmission, and air conditioning, while retaining the old-timey look."
In other words he is gonna yank the sheetmetal off the frame and get rid of everything that was under it. Another good truck will be destroyed.
I sincerely believe he doesn't have any idea of what he is doing.
Hardhatz

Post by Hardhatz »

Guilty as charged.
Although I have owned and/or restored a number of cars such as pre-war Packard, Auburn, Rolls Royce, Bentley, Mercedes, Jaguar, Maserati etc including a competitor at Pebble Beach, I have never restored an A or an AA. That is why I seek the counsel of the wise Gentlemen on this site, and certainly value all feedback.

For others a stock AA may be perfectly suitable for modern California freeways, but I don't have the driving skills necessary to blend in with 80 MPH traffic and stop safely behind an ABS-equipped Porsche. I sure do admire those who can!
Chris Haynes

Post by Chris Haynes »

Hardhatz wrote:
For others a stock AA may be perfectly suitable for modern California freeways, but I don't have the driving skills necessary to blend in with 80 MPH traffic and stop safely behind an ABS-equipped Porsche. I sure do admire those who can!

So drive 55 and you won't have to worry.
Roy Williams
Body Type: Express
Model Year: 1929

Post by Roy Williams »

Hardhatz, good to hear the jewel will be reborn before it melts back into the earth. I thought the reason we went through the work and expense was for our enjoyment. if the truck belongs to you, do what you want with it. when your finished and begin to enjoy your truck, drive it like you want. it's belongs to you...........Just don't be discouraged. stay positive and post your progress. i enjoy reading of others progress and I will learn from your continuing participation. T5?? I didn't know. Thanks. :D