A quicker Truck?

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
av8
Body Type: flat bed
Model Year: 1930

A quicker Truck?

Post by av8 »

Hi, i am in the process of buying myself an AA truck and was wondering what are the options to making it faster? Engine? Overdrive? Carb? Diff gears??? Would appriecate any ideas. (Won't fit a diesel maybe a flat head 8?)
Thanks Andy UK
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A

Re: A quicker Truck?

Post by Chris Haynes »

Simple hopups on the engine and a Mitchell Gear Splitter are all ya need.
Mitchell Manufacturing PO Box 236 Healdsburg, CA
Hardhatz
Body Type: Dump
Model Year: 1931

Post by Hardhatz »

Andy,

There were a lot of flatheads made for French Military trucks long after they were discontinued elsewhere, you could probably find one there. They were pretty good, by flathead standards.

Considering the cost of petrol over there, a diesel might be worth looking into. There are also a bunch of diesels like a Nissan or Perkins, that will fit. I measured up a Mitsubishi 2.3 TD the other day & it looked very promising, though none of those are particularly powerful. On the Continent you have some rich choices, like the outstanding Peugeots, BMWs, & Fords. I have a hunch an Audi 5 would slide right in there too, as the Model A motor is about 7 inches longer that an Audi 4. A VR6 is so small you could probably put TWO of them in there. Maybe a Sierra 2.3 turbo?

Please keep this letter a secret between just us two, as there are rumored to be some folks opposed to you having it your way. Good Luck!
av8

Post by av8 »

Nice one thanks
Chris Haynes wrote:Simple hopups on the engine and a Mitchell Gear Splitter are all ya need.
Mitchell Manufacturing PO Box 236 Healdsburg, CA
av8

Post by av8 »

Thanks but i don't want to fit a diesel just wouldn't be right for me as a hot rodder.
Hardhatz wrote:Andy,

There were a lot of flatheads made for French Military trucks long after they were discontinued elsewhere, you could probably find one there. They were pretty good, by flathead standards.

Considering the cost of petrol over there, a diesel might be worth looking into. There are also a bunch of diesels like a Nissan or Perkins, that will fit. I measured up a Mitsubishi 2.3 TD the other day & it looked very promising, though none of those are particularly powerful. On the Continent you have some rich choices, like the outstanding Peugeots, BMWs, & Fords. I have a hunch an Audi 5 would slide right in there too, as the Model A motor is about 7 inches longer that an Audi 4. A VR6 is so small you could probably put TWO of them in there. Maybe a Sierra 2.3 turbo?

Please keep this letter a secret between just us two, as there are rumored to be some folks opposed to you having it your way. Good Luck!
Hardhatz

Post by Hardhatz »

Shoot, I missread your post, I thought you wanted a Diesel or flathead. My bad.
smilebigtt
Body Type: flatbed

Post by smilebigtt »

Say I was watching the movie The Rocket Man. The rocket man was wearing a jet pack on his back and was standing on the back of I think a TT. He lit the the pack up and boy did that truck ZOOM down the road. So maybe you need to get a rocket backpack and stap it to your truck to make it faster.
Hardhatz

Post by Hardhatz »

Rocket Power, I like that! BTW, that was a great movie.
If I was intent on a 4 banger Hotrod, I'd look at a Toyota 2.7, a Mitsu Conquest (2.6 Turbo), a Quad 4, a Ford 2.3 Turbo, or: the Holy Grail of 4-bangers, a Mercury 224 with an alloy Cobra Jet head.