6v to 12v?

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
John - NNY
Model Year: 1930

Re: 6v to 12v?

Post by John - NNY »

A 12 volt battery will spin a 6 volt starter faster and with more torque. That can create problems with the starter bendix and bendix bolts if they are not properly maintained.
John
NNY
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A
Model Year: 1930

Post by Chris Haynes »

By using a resistor you can drop the voltage to the starter. A simple resistor is the spring from an A starter drive. Simply place it between the battery cable and the starter switch. Connect the power wire to all your 12 volt stuff above the spring.
wewodad
Body Type: 131 platform
Model Year: 1931

Post by wewodad »

Be sure to pay attention to the battery cables and other wire sizes (wire gauge) on a 6 volt system since the current is much higher (200%) than it is in a 12 volt system to do the same job. The larger cables for 6 volt applications generally aren't on the shelf everywhere. The cables that are intended for 12 volt use are "much" smaller in gauge and quite often cause very slow starters etc. when one attempts to use them for a 6 volt application. Small wire sizes to horns and lights etc. can cause poor performance there too. The cable to the starter for an AA Ford are AWG 0000 or at the minimum AWG 000. When manufacturers changed to 12 volt systems they found that they could use much less copper making the electrical systems less expensive.

I am a 6 volt system fan and love the sound of that engine too! By the way, does anyone have an opinion regarding the 6 volt Optima batteries? I have been using numerous Optima batteries for many years and I am very impressed! They don't leak or have corrosion problems, they are small and provide big time cranking amps.

See Load Carrying Capacities at http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm