Different Diff?

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
av8
Body Type: flat bed
Model Year: 1930

Different Diff?

Post by av8 »

Can anyone tell me if there are different gears i can put in the rear diff, to make the truck quicker? If so where can i get them from?
Cheers Andy UK
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A

Re: Different Diff?

Post by Chris Haynes »

Installing a Mitchell Gear Splitter is the easiest answer. Gives you overdrive and is a bolt in with no modification to the truck.
av8

Post by av8 »

Thanks Chris, How much quicker do you think the truck would go by fitting the mitchell? As i gotta way up the cost of the splitter, as to the extra performance i'm gonna get?
Thanks Andy UK
rollingsculpture
Body Type: platform
Model Year: 1931

Post by rollingsculpture »

can you describe what the mitchell gear splitter does? why is it called a splitter and any pics you may have . i guess you lose torque in place of speed what are the limitations on weight ? is this thing made for model A cars ? does the extra weight of the AA cause extra stress on the gears? thanks for the lesson.
Chris Haynes

Post by Chris Haynes »

Ther gear splitter is basicly an overdrive when you hit the highway. But you can also drive it in direct drive when around town. They make them for "A's", "AA"s", And "V-8's". They also make a syncronized three speed transmission for A's and early AA's.
Mitchell Manufacturing
1157 Parker St.
Colusa, CA 95932
800-859-2088
530-458-4500
av8

Post by av8 »

Thanks Chris but will it go any quicker? would like to get her to 60/70mph with out a rocket pack!
Chris Haynes

Post by Chris Haynes »

Of course an overdrive will go faster. As to being quicker that is another story. You need engine hopups to go quicker. A high compression head will help a lot.
31 SWFL
Body Type: 82 B ?
Model Year: 1931

Post by 31 SWFL »

Hi av8 I have a 31AA and had the same problem.So this is how i went about it, figure the tire size rear end ratio engine rpm and mph you would like to drive at going down the highway.then build the motor to handle the rpms you plan on using if your going to run the original engine.what i have in mine is new babbitt,balanced crank,bigger intake valves(1.73's if i remember right ),one piece valve guides,adjustable lifters,stripes 330 cam,synders 5.5:1 head CC'd @ 177 per chamber,lightened flywheel (52lbs VS 65lbs),bored A intake with a B carb and had the rotating assembly balanced with in a half of a gram.talked to mitchell got the overdrive NICE PEOPLE but was told in order to use the OD engine had to make at least 55hp.That's why all the fancy engine work.If I remember right it worked out to 2600 rpms with the mitchell, 5:14 ring gear and 650x20 tires gives me around 60 mph or 65mph (it's been awhile since I ran the numbers). The new engine is in and hopefully should be fired up some time this week. :mrgreen:
Build it to make you happy NOT other peoples opinions.
SHELBY MESSER
Body Type: 75-A

Post by SHELBY MESSER »

Andy, Looks like a G28t engine would be the best rough to take! Keeping your truck close to original and get your speed close to what you want! Shelby, Louisiana
av8

Post by av8 »

31 SWFL wrote:Hi av8 I have a 31AA and had the same problem.So this is how i went about it, figure the tire size rear end ratio engine rpm and mph you would like to drive at going down the highway.then build the motor to handle the rpms you plan on using if your going to run the original engine.what i have in mine is new babbitt,balanced crank,bigger intake valves(1.73's if i remember right ),one piece valve guides,adjustable lifters,stripes 330 cam,synders 5.5:1 head CC'd @ 177 per chamber,lightened flywheel (52lbs VS 65lbs),bored A intake with a B carb and had the rotating assembly balanced with in a half of a gram.talked to mitchell got the overdrive NICE PEOPLE but was told in order to use the OD engine had to make at least 55hp.That's why all the fancy engine work.If I remember right it worked out to 2600 rpms with the mitchell, 5:14 ring gear and 650x20 tires gives me around 60 mph or 65mph (it's been awhile since I ran the numbers). The new engine is in and hopefully should be fired up some time this week. :mrgreen:
Thank for that !!!
av8

Post by av8 »

SHELBY MESSER wrote:Andy, Looks like a G28t engine would be the best rough to take! Keeping your truck close to original and get your speed close to what you want! Shelby, Louisiana
Nice one gonna be looking for an engine then i think???? Not that i know what a G28t engine is?