HKDude w/six blade fan

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
russ
Body Type: 82a
Model Year: 1930

HKDude w/six blade fan

Post by russ »

Hey Mike, i was just admiring that six blade fan shown in your avatar. I know the factory fan has poor safety history and i'm always open to improvements in that area. So, what'cha got on there and how do the cooling temps look with that fan?

russ
Everybody likes pics.
HKDude
Body Type: Platform
Model Year: 1929

Re: HKDude w/six blade fan

Post by HKDude »

Hey Russ,

Well, if I ever get it complete enough to start I will let you know how it runs with that fan. Ha!

I generally try to keep my restoration as close to original as possible. As I was thinking about a used or rebuilt 4 blade fan taking out my new shinny radiator (which I haven't purchased yet) or hood, I decided it would be easier to get a new fan blade as I have plenty of other pressing areas to spend my time restoring right now. Because I didn't see any new 4 blades in the usual places (Macs, Snyders, Brattons, etc) and didn't want to use a two blade... 6 blade plastic fan from Macs was the winner. When (if) I ever finish the truck, I may look at switching out to an original 4 blade.

-mike
russ
Body Type: 82a

Post by russ »

Mike, fair enough. I'm still in my fact finding mode anyway regarding which fan to use since i don't have a motor to bolt it to yet. I've read plenty about the pro's and con's of fans, and as far as i'm concerned thus far, it's best to have one. :D
Everybody likes pics.
Gumperguy
Body Type: jitterbug

Post by Gumperguy »

Mike-While everybody is making fun of your non-original 6 blade fan, I would like to buy it from you for my overheating doodlebug/jitterbug. If for sale tell me how much w/ shipping to Old Town Maine. Also I might be looking for a fan shroud if anybody has.-Thanks-Ben Dresser of Maine
Brady
Body Type: None

Post by Brady »

Hello Ben:
Your fan is probably the least responsible cause for the "Jitterbug" over heating. You could look around for a 4 blade BB truck fan. They will fly apart and cause great damage, but not nearly as likely as the original two blade. You might back flush the radiator and engine-mice may have got in there and built some condos. There may be grease from the water pump rear bushing all over the top of the radiator tubes- and your timing and fuel adjustment may be off a little bit. Lots of things to go wrong with the cooling system, and so little time. Enjoy the "jitterdoodle" as much as you can- the snow is on the way. Best regards, Frank
SHELBY MESSER
Body Type: 75-A

Post by SHELBY MESSER »

It sounds like you have a radiator problem, the AA 4 row core should run supper cool. My '29 roadster engine bored to .120 never ran hot With me driving 55-60 mile an hour for over 20 years. I don't drive it now, but it still runs. Have your radiator rodded out a cleaned at a radiator repair shop. Also keep the fan belt tight at all time. If you turn the fan blade by hand the crank should also with out any slippage of the belt. I built a fan shroud for my late '31 coupe. It didn't need one but it looks good! hope this helps keep on AAing. Shelby, Louisiana