Brake Rebuild - Before & After

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
HKDude
Body Type: Platform
Model Year: 1929

Brake Rebuild - Before & After

Post by HKDude »

I can't imagine why the brakes didn't work prior to rebuilding...

One down (driver's side rear) and three to go.
Attachments
Before.JPG
Before.JPG (72.8 KiB) Viewed 4336 times
After (1).JPG
After (1).JPG (68.55 KiB) Viewed 4340 times
After (2).JPG
After (2).JPG (62.61 KiB) Viewed 4335 times
John - NNY
Model Year: 1930

Re: Brake Rebuild - Before & After

Post by John - NNY »

Aaahhh!!!
Oooooh!!!

Very nice. It keeps my inspired.
John
NNY
E.Moore

Post by E.Moore »

Did your rear drums fit over the new emergency brake shoes OK?

I bought a set of emergency brake shoes from Sacramento Vintage Ford and the woven lining was WAY TOO THICK. The drums would not begin to clear the e-brake lining. The service brake linings are NOS and there was a considerable height difference between the e-brake lining from Sacramento and the NOS service shoes. NOS drums were also used.

The e-brake shoes were removed and the drum was installed over the NOS service shoes with no trouble. When the e-brake shoes were installed, there was no way that the drum would clear the overly thick e-brake lining.

I had to return the shoes for a refund and eventually found some NOS woven lining that worked with the NOS rear steel drums. The fit was snug, but the wheels turn.
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A

Post by Chris Haynes »

Did you ever consider having your shoes arched so that would fit?
E.Moore

Post by E.Moore »

Chris, You obviously did not understand the problem with the overly thick energency brake lining. I have an AMMCO brake grinding machine and always arc the shoes to fit the drums, but the emergency brake lining is not arced to the drum. It is concentric. It is the same thickness from one tip of the emergency brake lining to the other. When the lining is overly thick, the brake drum will not clear the emergency brake lining.

If I'm going to pay close to $75.00 for a pair of emergency brake linings from one of the vendors, then the things need to be the correct thickness, and they should have the holes already predrilled and they should have the correct brass rivets. I had to hunt for the correct rivets. I'm not going to go to the ends of the earth to try to modify something that was sold as being able to work. They were returned and I received a refund.

Sacramento Vintage Ford can get more AA parts than any of the other vendors that I've bought from, but they got the wrong thickness of emergency brake lining. I made them aware of the problem, so hopefully that issue has been corrected.
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A

Post by Chris Haynes »

I am sure that the city of Sacramento has a friction materials company who can reline your originals for a fraction of the cost of reproductions. Here in the San Fernando Valley we have a great place called Valley Friction that can reline anything. They did my AA back in the '60's.
E.Moore

Post by E.Moore »

Chris, Thanks for the info.