Cadmium plating question

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Boomer
Body Type: 82-A Closed Cab
Model Year: 1929

Cadmium plating question

Post by Boomer »

I am looking to get my hub caps, wheel rings and lug nuts cadmium plated. There is a shop called Cooperative Plating in St. Paul, Minnesota that is within an hour and a half from my house. Has anyone ever used them? They list three types of cad plating - yellow, clear and olive drab. Is the type of cad plating that was done originally really just "clear" and it is the color of the underlying metal that appears silver/gray? Or is this the wrong type of cad plating entirely?
Thanks,
Drew
Drew N.

1929 AA Closed Cab

Skol Vikings!
E.Moore
Model Year: 1930

Re: Cadmium plating question

Post by E.Moore »

The cad plating that Ford used was a cyanide bath cadmium with other chemicals that produced what is called a "white" cad finish, which really looks like a flat silver finish.

The other colors of cad are from the chemicals used in the plating bath. Every plater uses their own terms for their finishes, so you need to know what the plater near you means when he calls one if his cad finishes "clear" . If it is a bright cad, it may look too much like zinc. Be careful.

There is a place in Texas which plates for the aircraft industry, but I can't remember their name right now. They know how to plate cad in the finish that is very close to the old Ford finish.
rdhagen
Body Type: AA Express

Post by rdhagen »

Hi,
I just had my wheel rings, lug nuts and hub caps plated at cooperative plating in st paul. I used the clear cad plating which looks almost white. Bring all items at once because there is a $85.00 minimun charge. The cost for everything was $108.00 and I thought everything looked great. If I have any other plating to be done I will go back. Also they had everything done for me in about 5 business days. Robert from Waseca, Minnesota
Boomer
Body Type: 82-A Closed Cab
Model Year: 1929

Post by Boomer »

It's nice to hear from someone who has used them, thanks for the input Robert. Is there anything else besides the lug nuts, wheel rings and hub caps that I should have cadmium plated?
Drew N.

1929 AA Closed Cab

Skol Vikings!
rdhagen
Body Type: AA Express

Post by rdhagen »

I had the emergency brake handle done also for the $108.00. You could also bring your head nuts (I believe they were cad plated too. Possibably other nuts and bolts. Research some of the finishes on the nuts and bolts and bring what you can. Take care Robert