Dual Drive unit on '29

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
RJ Scott
Model Year: 1930

Dual Drive unit on '29

Post by RJ Scott »

I have a '29 I am restoring and have a problem...
I have taken the truck down to the frame and have run into a doozy of situation. I cannot seperate the dual drive unit from the torque tube. I have unbolted everything I can find to unbolt including the differential from the frame but I still cannot seperate the dual drive from the torque tube.
Does anyone know if there is a clip, a pin, a bolt or something I'm missing. Or do I have to disassmble the rear end completely to remove the torque tube to get to whatever holds the dual drive to the drive shaft???
I am stuck on this one.
I would appreciate any help anyone can give me. I have spoken to a number of local "A Experts", and so far they all say, "A dual...what??"
Anyway, hope someone can help.
Thanks,
RJ[/b]
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

The only way to removed the coupling shaft or dual high transmission is to back out the rear axle or remove the engine/transmission. These is a u-joint bolted to the rear of the three speed transmission and a u-joint bolted to the rear of the coupling shaft/dual high. So, one end (rear axle or engine) must be removed to allow the removal of the coupling shaft/dual high.

With the rear axle disconnected, it should move back and slip out of the u-joint. This is the same as the Model A rear axle connection to the transmission. The coupling shaft/dual high rear support is bolted to the frame cross member with two bolts. With these removed, the support should come out the rear of the cross member and allow the coupling shaft/dual high to slide back out of the u-joint at the front.

I hope this helps.
Regards, Neil Wilson
RJ Scott

dual high removal

Post by RJ Scott »

Thanks Neil
I will look at what you suggest. The motor and transmission is already out of the truck. I have unbolted the rear end from the frame and have removed the two mounting bolts you mentioned. I'll see what happens

Thanks again,
RJ
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

Removing the two bolts which hold the rear support to the frame would allow the support to be removed from the back side of the cross member once the rear axle is backed out. With the engine/transmission out, the dual high should pull out forward from the support with the u-joint pulling off the end of the drive shaft.
Regards, Neil Wilson