Chris Haynes, who's local?

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
russ
Body Type: 82a
Model Year: 1930

Chris Haynes, who's local?

Post by russ »

Hey Chris, have you used anybody locally to ream new kingpin bushings? I'm sure i can run a reamer through the bushings but general wisdom seems to be using someone knowledgable with proper equipment for the job. Know anybody locally that you like well enough to recommend?

Best, russ in simi valley
Everybody likes pics.
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A

Re: Chris Haynes, who's local?

Post by Chris Haynes »

Mine were done by my friend Ron Grygus of Sun Valley. Sadly Ron is no longer with us. I am sure that anybody who has a selection of reamers can do the job.
Car Quest Auto Parts on Devonshire in Chatsworth used to have a machinist who could do them. I don't know if he is still there as the shop has changed hands.
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A

Post by Chris Haynes »

I bet the Ron Mosher in Santa Clarita can do them. (661) 255 1931
Drew Mashburn

Post by Drew Mashburn »

Russ:

George Wilson of "Wilson Auto Service & Dinosaur Repair" (Specializing in Vintage Autos) (117 N. Lomita Av., Meiners Oaks, Ojai, Ca.///805-646-2213) can do them. He did mine years ago. I highly recommend Mr. Wilson.

-- Drew
Drew Mashburn
russ
Body Type: 82a

Post by russ »

Ron Mosher was a straight up guy and indicated there might be issues with him trying to do the larger AA kingpin bushings.

George Wilson indicates he is happy to do them for me no prob, but i'll need to get there early in the morning if i want to take them home with me the same day. Seems George gets tired in the afternoon and feels his best work is done in the mornings. I'm going to take the spindles to him the next opportunity i get.

As always, thanks to all for the leads.

Best, russ
Everybody likes pics.
Drew Mashburn

Post by Drew Mashburn »

Russ:

George Wilson is in his 80's and is hard of hearing. Hearing-aids in both ears. So, speak up when you're conversing with him. He's a one-man operation. He's a great guy. He started his business in 1958. You can count on him for great work. I live right up the street from him. I'm pleased that you've decided to use him. Be sure to look around his shop. You'll be amazed at some of the stuff you'll see. It's like going back in time! :)

-- Drew
Drew Mashburn
smilebigtt
Body Type: flatbed

Post by smilebigtt »

I was going to reply here until I saw Russ used the term " knowledgable with proper equipment." Shoots me out of the water. Tyrone in Topeka Ks.
rollingsculpture
Body Type: platform
Model Year: 1931

Post by rollingsculpture »

smilebig did you do your own reaming ? how did it go?
smilebigtt

Post by smilebigtt »

I hate to say because I will be laughed off the planet. But since you asked. Because the amount of bushing I had to remove for a "break-in fit" was minute, maybe a couple thousandths +/-, I took a wood dowl rod, slit one end using a hack saw enough to slip a strip of emery cloth (sand Paper) in. The other end I ground down on a grinder enough to fix my electric drill chuck. The dowl rods diamater was as large as I could get into the bushing with the use of the sand paper.
I did not oil the emery cloth. As if you were running a hone in a cylinder, I went at a medium to slow speed up and down being very careful to stay centered in the bushing. Stop every minute or so to clear not and check size. Check often to not oversize the hole. It ground down fairly quick. No I realize the possible errors in uneven cutting but that is why the somewhat smug fit. This allows for a brake-in fit.
Oh let me add this. As you find your getting close to a fit but still have high spots, when you put you pin, bolt, whatever, turn it inside the pushing and remove the pin, bolt what ever and you can see the tight spot in the bushing. Work on that spot till your happy with fit. Remember to check progress often from both ends of the bushing. Grease the joint and be sure to keep it well geased until the the new joint runs in.
I know it sounds awful farmish but I did this very thing on my 1924 T racer. I have driven it up to 50 mph and the flimsy model T front end with the 30 inch wood spoke wheels tracks down the road like it was on R/R tracks. So your call.
smilebigtt

Post by smilebigtt »

Typo, "to clean out and check"
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed

Post by spectria »

smilebigtt wrote:Typo, "to clean out and check"
That is a clever way to get the job done, ala, "Grapes of Wrath". :)

It is probably good enough, although I would worry that some of the fine grit might embed in the Bushing.

It is classic!
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org
smilebigtt

Post by smilebigtt »

See Russ, what did I tell ya. "Grapes of Wrath". :roll: Great movie by the way. After pulling a cloth through the bushing, blowing it with air and then running a greased rag though I figure what grit in there I'll never get out. That keeps me from worrying about the grit that is blowing around in the garage, the grit that will get in there from rain water off the road, driving down gravel roads and just the dust in the air collecting on the grease.
Some time ago I stopped worrying about the persission of a machine that is still around some 70 too 100 years. As long as it starts, stops and I can keep it between the lines, I'm good to go.
Hey Spectria, no hard feelings bud. I'm just messin with ya.
Oh, speeking of great movies, Check out form the movie store Second Hand Lions. No "old" trucks in it but just a darn good family flick.
Car show tomorrow and a HUNG one in a couple weeks in Ottawa, Ks. Last year was 1,400 plus cars and trucks of every kind. Old farm trucks, T's, A's, AA's, Chevys, dodges, Diamond Reo. Stuff you've never seen nor heard of. Muscle cars, rat rods, hot rods, customs, vintage factory stock, vintage military, lowbuck projects and car with more money wrapped up in them then I owe for my $150,000 house. This show stated with just a small club "Over the Road Club" in a small town. This year they had to ask the local radio to stop talking about it, it's getting far to big. But you know, what I like is that not only did my little home made T racer make a photo in the local paper but I also won a trophy. Its great when these big shows take notice of when the times and cars were simplier.
Anyway, you all have a great weekend. tt
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed

Post by spectria »

smilebigtt wrote: Hey Spectria, no hard feelings bud. I'm just messin with ya.
tt
Yea, I know that, I was pullin your leg too...
:)

Just got back from Vinton, Ca, near the Nevade line at Hyway 49... Picked up the other half of my purchase off Craigslist from 3 years ago.

It's a 1930 AA 82B Stakebed that's nearly complete. It was miracle to find it rolling, no rust in the cab, or wheels, and all the nuts came off easily.

I'll post pics later...
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org