Brake Linings revisited

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Matt Kroll
Model Year: 1930

Re: Brake Linings revisited

Post by Matt Kroll »

Rollingsculpture, those are steel drums.

Also, last time I checked, a magnet WILL stick to cast iron. :wink:
Matt Kroll - WY8R
http://www.smokypond.com/
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A

Post by Chris Haynes »

E.Moore wrote:Chris, Do the drums you need have the small lug pattern for the wire spoke wheels, although the drums are for 14" shoes?
They have a smaller bolt pattern for Lincoln hubs. Which are the hubs used on these 20' wire rims.
E.Moore

Post by E.Moore »

Chris, The 1932 14" drums will work on the 1930 AA. I have another question on your drums. Will the hubs on your drums unbolt from the drum, AND is the hub bolt pattern the same as the Lincoln. In other words, can you remove your hubs and bolt them to AA 14" drums?

Rollingsculture, THe easiest way to tell if you have cast iron drums is to look for a square raised block somewere around the outer flange of the drum. If there are no raised square blocks, you have steel drums.

A magnet will not tell the difference between cast iron and steel, as both are ferous. Magnets will not stick to stainless, like the radiator badge, or the door handles, but if I get one close enough to my forehead, I have to pull it away because it wants to stick. I must have iron rich blood from all the rust.
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A

Post by Chris Haynes »

[quote="E.Moore"] is the hub bolt pattern the same as the Lincoln. In other words, can you remove your hubs and bolt them to AA 14" drums?[quote]

To be truthful I haven't seen a set. I have only heard discriptions. There is a guy here in the San Fernando Valley who has a hearse with wires on it, but I have lost his information.
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

The bolt pattern for the '31 steel spoke wheel is the same as the Lincoln wheel and the same as the '34 BB truck wheel from what I have seen.
Regards, Neil Wilson
TomH
Body Type: pickup
Model Year: 1928

Post by TomH »

My 32 BB truck had woven lining on the front. The drums appear to be cast, as they have the 2 square wedges on the flange. They measure 14 in. across. The hubs appear to be bolted to the drums, the studs are staked on the inside. Both drums have the number AA1126-C2 cast on the inside. The letters are much larger on the one. So does this mean I should use molded lining.
The more I learn about this truck, the less I seem to know.
Tom H.
Need rear fenders and running boards for 1932 131" single wheel Express Body
E.Moore

Post by E.Moore »

You can use either brake material with cast iron, but check the rear brakes and drums. It is always best to use the same brake material on all 4 wheels when using cast iron drums. If the front drums are cast iron and the rear steel, the rear shoes should be woven, as well as the front shoes.

If all 4 drums are cast iron, either woven or bonded materials can be used on all 4 wheels.

The same material should be used to allow even friction and heat distribution on all 4 wheels.
TomH
Body Type: pickup
Model Year: 1928

Post by TomH »

Eric, once again, thanks for the info. We have not yet removed the rear drums, but we will check them soon.
Tom H.
Need rear fenders and running boards for 1932 131" single wheel Express Body
Bladehorse
Body Type: 185-A

Post by Bladehorse »

One thing I found out is that 'hard liners' do NOT bite the drums efficiantly at all. (Pulling on steeringwheel, while standing on pedal with both feet, and rolling right on thru the intersection. (I was hauling 1.5 tons of wet wood) But a Warning! My brakes were adjusted correctly, centered, and Arked too.
I changed to woven material the next week, and I had to be carefull to Not lock the tires up.

The cast drums are extra thick to allieve the brake fade, and warping issues that the steel ones had on long downgrades. Hard liners are great with enough pressure to get them to actually grip the drums they ride in.
There is now a woven kevlar lining that is used. You want the 'soft' as the hard is rather brittle. it has brass fibers much like the original. If you get your own material or even have it done for you, you want to find someone with an arking machine, or a big belt sander. They NEED to be arked to fit the drums! This is amlmost essential. Each drum will have worn differently, so fitting each one independantly will help.