Can someone tell me the exact spec's for the Walton's truck?

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Derek

Can someone tell me the exact spec's for the Walton's truck?

Post by Derek »

What year was the Walton truck, 1928 or 1929? What options were on the truck? Was it original? Were the wheels original?
Bradshaw
Body Type: 82A Cab 89A Express
Model Year: 1929

Post by Bradshaw »

Derek,

The AA Truck on the Walton's was a 1929 AA Ford. This truck had 6 hole dished in wheels from the factory. The truck would have had a worm gear rear axle with one of two gear ratio's, 7.25:1 or 5.17:1. The truck most likely had the 3 speed A transmission and either a short coupling shaft or a "dual high" auxillary 2 speed transmission. This "dual-high" was actually an under-drive unit that also had a 1:1 straight through output. I've been told, that most often the trucks that were equipped with the "dual-high" also had the desirable 5.17:1 "high speed" rear axle.
I have a 29 chassis that had a dual-high and it has the 5.17:1 rear axle ratio.

The other pertinent item about the truck seen on The Walton's was that it was an Express Bed Truck. The Model TT also had an Express Bed. Some folks have used TT Express Beds on AA trucks with some modifications. You can tell if its an original AA Express bed by the small indented "wheel wells", one on each side.

Finding and or fabricating the Express Bed will undoubtedly be your biggest challenge. Other things to consider are finding the long splash aprons and runningboards, and of course the elusive side-mount spare tire carrier.

I have an Early 1930 AA Express. It looks just like the truck used on The Waltons, except for the Wheels. In 1930 they were changed to 5 hole Budd wheels and are concave in the opposite direction from the 29 wheels.

Not sure where you are located, but I have a 1929 AA frame with the 5.17:1 rear axle. I bought it for some parts for the truck I'm working on. If you are looking for a starting place on your project, the remainder of my 1929 AA chassis is for sale.

E-mail me at ExpressAA30@hotmail.com if you are interested.
Call me at 757-562-6903 and I'll be glad to talk more.
Thanks,
Bradshaw