Jig for drilling hole in center of round stock for a cotter

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
SHELBY MESSER
Body Type: 75-A
Model Year: 1930

Jig for drilling hole in center of round stock for a cotter

Post by SHELBY MESSER »

These are pictures of a jig that will come in handy when drilling a hole for a cotter pin. When building your jig the main thing is to make sure that the 2 pieces of angle is square to each other and flat on the flat plates make sure the flat stock is straight. The bottom plate needs to be 1/4" flat X 3"wide at least and 8"or longer. The 2nd piece needs to be 1/4" 3"x3" flat. Then 2 pieces of 1/8" angle 1"X1" 3" long. After making your jig, find a bolt or a pin 3/8" or larger with a pin hole in it. Find a drill bit to fit the pin hole, put the drill bit in your drill press. Place the bolt or pin in the jig. With drill press OFF, Run the drill bit through the pin hole in the bolt or pin lining up the bit with the hole. Run the drill bit up and down several times. Make sure bolt or pin does not move. Clamp jig to the drill press. Check again to see if the bolt or pin moves, if it moves adjust the the jig until bolt or pin does not move in the jig. Raise drill bit above the bolt or pin, turn on the drill press to make sure the drill bit goes through the pin hole with out the bolt or pin moves. If pin moves adjust jig again. Repeat adjustment as needed. These pictures should help you with building your jig. Dorn it took me three times longer to type this that to make the jig! Shelby, Louisiana.
Attachments
DSCN0345.JPG
DSCN0345.JPG (85.81 KiB) Viewed 6521 times
DSCN0344.JPG
DSCN0344.JPG (94.54 KiB) Viewed 6519 times
DSCN0343.JPG
DSCN0343.JPG (89.85 KiB) Viewed 6521 times
SHELBY MESSER

Re: Jig for drilling hole in center of round stock for a cotter

Post by SHELBY MESSER »

more pictures
Attachments
DSCN0348.JPG
DSCN0348.JPG (96.77 KiB) Viewed 6508 times
DSCN0347.JPG
DSCN0347.JPG (91.6 KiB) Viewed 6508 times
DSCN0346.JPG
DSCN0346.JPG (90.53 KiB) Viewed 6510 times
SHELBY MESSER

Post by SHELBY MESSER »

final picture
Attachments
DSCN0349.JPG
DSCN0349.JPG (92.72 KiB) Viewed 6502 times
Matt Kroll

Post by Matt Kroll »

Good job and great idea there Shelby!
Matt Kroll - WY8R
http://www.smokypond.com/
SHELBY MESSER

Post by SHELBY MESSER »

One thing I need to express is to center punch a bolt that has threads so the small drill bit doesn't walk or use a larger bit to start a plot hole. A round stock will be OK. Good luck! Shelby, Louisiana.
modeleh

Post by modeleh »

Great tip. I wonder if the board could add a section to archive tips like these in another section, kind of like the clubhouse section was added, there is another Ford truck forum I go to, and there is a section called "Tips & Tricks" and it's nice because these good ideas all stay organized in one section and don't get bumped down and forgotten about as quickly as in the "discussion" section where there's usually more action.
mikeg
Site Admin
Body Type: 150B

Post by mikeg »

modeleh wrote:Great tip. I wonder if the board could add a section to archive tips like these in another section, kind of like the clubhouse section was added, there is another Ford truck forum I go to, and there is a section called "Tips & Tricks" and it's nice because these good ideas all stay organized in one section and don't get bumped down and forgotten about as quickly as in the "discussion" section where there's usually more action.
Not a bad Idea!

I'll take a look at adding a new section for just these sort of topics..