Need Some Help

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
TomH
Body Type: pickup
Model Year: 1928

Need Some Help

Post by TomH »

Hello, I am new to this forum, and could use some advice on what I believe is a 1932 Model B truck. The front axle and kingpins are marked AA.
This truck was purchased by my father in law in about 1949, and was used on the farm till about 1969, when it was parked in a shed for 40 years. All 5 of my wifes' brothers learned to drive on it. About 3 months ago, a good friend and I needed something to do, so we drug it into my shop,and got the engine running. It was OK to drive around the farm, but now we want to make it roadworthy. We are not trying to restore it, just make it into something we can have some fun with. The thing is all pretty much there. There was an aftermarket hoist added to the bed. Can anyone tell me if the bed is a Ford product? Also we are in need of a set of spring perches. Does anyone know of a source for them, a set of spring shackles, and a decent set of 6:00 x 20 tires. This is my first attempt ever at posting to a forum, so please forgive any mistakes. I am going to try to attach some photos with Photo Bucket.
Thanks for any help that anyone can give me.
Attachments
bwebtruckbeforeanything.jpg
bwebtruckbeforeanything.jpg (60.92 KiB) Viewed 5931 times
Last edited by TomH on September 21st, 2009, 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
russ
Body Type: 82a
Model Year: 1930

Re: Need Some Help

Post by russ »

Howdy Tom, and welcome.
Not sure if the aftermarket stores have spring perches, might need to post to the "Buy and Sell" part of this web site for those.
Shackles and tires easily obtainable at any of the AA part suppliers. Google Model A parts on line for specifics.
Good idea (in my humble opinion) to get it running instead of restoring. All those bumps and bruises on the truck are badges of honor. Plus, you can use it without sweating bullets that it'll get scratched.
Have fun with it.
Best, russ
Everybody likes pics.
TomH

Post by TomH »

Hey Russ, thanks for the reply. A local fabricator, is working on the spring perches. The truck is running and we are pounding out some of the dents, and repairing some of the cracks in the fenders, and running boards. But we are trying for No Bondo, And paint only on areas were we have to grind for welding. When we get it back on wheels, we might pull the cab off to do some structural repairs, and maybe make the interior a bit nicer. Next year we want to have a lot of fun with this truck. We also want to do it as cheaply as possible,that is why I am looking for used tires. But I think I just have to bite the bullet, cause every used tire I have found so far is dry rotted.
If you go to my post titled "Try Again", you can see some pics of the truck.
Thanks Again
TH
Need rear fenders and running boards for 1932 131" single wheel Express Body
modeleh

Post by modeleh »

Tom, I think you are on the right track with your plan to just fix up what is necessary and not to tear it all down for a restoration. I was mistaken on my last post I was talking about fixing the rear spring perches and shackles on my BB and you were asking about the front ones. Anyhow, as with alot of us on here I am stricken with a bad disease that promotes fanciful dreams of taking an old Ford and with several months work turn it into a nice old truck to cruise the backroads with. Last week I brought home my 3rd 1&1/2 ton Ford truck, this one is running, the other two are non running project type trucks. With a truck that is already in running condition you are years ahead of some of us with projects. Each thing you fix to make like new means you feel like you have to make the next thing like new. It can be a big can of worms and I feel these things will be just as much fun with a tremclad paint job over dents as they are with super straight bodywork and a great paint job. Don't get me wrong, to those of you who have top notch AAs, I commend you because in most cases the trucks were all kind of left for dead, and bringing a tired old truck back to life is a massive job when you're going through everything. But my point is that even if some of the parts on the truck are worn and could be replaced, chances are you are not going to put enough miles on the truck to make these worn parts fail completely. Enjoy using your old truck for what it was built for, it looks like alot of fun. Cheers.
E.Moore

Post by E.Moore »

I have a pair of spring perches for sale. Send an email to aaford157@nosford.com
TomH

Post by TomH »

modelah, and Russ. Thanks for the down to earth advice. When I said no paint I meant on the exterior. We tore into the front end because it really was needed. The right side wheel had about 6 inches of slop. All the springs in the drag link and tie rod ends were broken, and the tie rod ends were in pretty bad shape from slopping around. The king pins were loose, and we were able to get almost everything that we needed, used, but in good condition. Also the center bolt on the front spring was broken. The steering box has very little play and I can live with that. We are cleaning up everything that we take off, and painting most of it, cause its just so nice to put clean stuff back together. Can anyone tell me if there should be more than 1 support for the brake rod to the front wheels? I am going to try once again to attach a photo.
Thanks so much
TH
Attachments
bwebbrakerod.jpg
bwebbrakerod.jpg (47.62 KiB) Viewed 5958 times
bweb3frame.jpg
bweb3frame.jpg (79.18 KiB) Viewed 5970 times
Shorthaul
Body Type: 186 stake
Model Year: 1931

Post by Shorthaul »

Dang, ya'll got that truck tore down from the original picture. Did you pull the engine to paint or? Keep us posted as to your progress, love to see it back together.

As to your question about the support. I only have one, same place as yours right behind the jack stand........31 AA
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr
Model Year: 1931

Post by Bob C »

The bracket behind the jack stand is where the brake rod return spring goes.
TomH

Post by TomH »

Thanks for all the replies. We didn't pull the engine. We had to take off the head to get it started. 3 valves were stuck. We also pulled the manifolds, and lifter cavity cover, so we painted them. I have the oil pan off right now, so I painted it with the high heat flat black today. We got the axle, and radius rod cleaned up today. I hope to paint them this week, get the oil pump and pan back on, and start getting the front end back together.
We haven't started to paint on the drivers side frame rail, because we are trying to find VIN. I'm told it should be in the steering box area, but I don't think there was ever a number there.
SHELBY MESSER
Body Type: 75-A

Post by SHELBY MESSER »

Tom, Your engine looks good with the blue. Originally they came from the factory Ford dark green. thought you may want to know. Your engine and choice of colors. The bracket for the brake rod is only one per brake rod, but is a multi-purpose. one it is a return spring to help relive the pressure on the brake shoes, second it serves as a brake rod support, third it is also an anti-rattle device to keep the rods tight keeping the brake rods from rattling. I think the serial # may be further back about the bell house area! Shelby, Louisiana.