how much air 650 x20 firestone

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
ford31
Body Type: tanker
Model Year: 1931

how much air 650 x20 firestone

Post by ford31 »

how much air should I run in 31 aa 650x20 tires,I have 30 lbs now when I started it up from a year sitting tires had flat spots
Shorthaul
Body Type: 186 stake

Re: how much air 650 x20 firestone

Post by Shorthaul »

Good question. Are you saying that you have 30 lbs after sitting and they have flat spots, or did you put 30 in after sitting? If the tires are nylon they will get flat spots sitting overnight in some conditions.

I looked everywhere to get information on air pressure for 600x20 tires and never found any. My tires, both Lucas and Denman didn't have info on them. An old Firestone I have did have 50 lbs noted on it.
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr

Post by Bob C »

I looked in the service bulletins and on page 330 it says 75lb front and 85lb
rear. On page 410 45lb front and rear for 6.00X20 and 90lb for 32X6 and
to further confuse things on page 456 minimum pressure 6.00X20 45lb and
32X6 80lb.
ford31

Post by ford31 »

tires have about 50 miles on them but about 12 years old same air haven't added any yet thanks Tom
Boomer
Body Type: 82-A Closed Cab
Model Year: 1929

Post by Boomer »

The info on the Coker tire website for new 650-20 Firestone truck tires lists a maximum pressure of 60lbs.
Drew
Drew N.

1929 AA Closed Cab

Skol Vikings!
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed

Post by spectria »

ford31 wrote:how much air should I run in 31 aa 650x20 tires,I have 30 lbs now when I started it up from a year sitting tires had flat spots
ford31,
As a safety measure, don't put anymore air in them until you have had chance to roll it some distance and get them warm.
My new Firestones say 50psi on them and they are 6.50 x 20. I would never put 75 or 85 lbs in these tires, even if the factory said to. They must have made a much stronger tire in those days.

Never exceed that label...

My worry would be the split ring not being fully seated from sitting, also the tire rubber does age and expire. If you have any cracking where the tire was flat, they are probably dangerous. Good for low pressure and rolling around the shop, but probably not safe for Hiway speed.
I did own a repair shop for 30 years, and sold and mounted a zillion tires, and I have seen many a tire (even new ones with no mileage) that failed after being flat for a long time, especially if the flat was resting in soil. The microbes in the soil seem to have a go at the rubber as well.

Dave
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org
ford31

Post by ford31 »

tires have never been flat 30 lbs is what I put in them 12 years ago,never been outside no cracking, my grandson was driving around town last week and said seemed to have flat spots,fist time out for a year
spectria

Post by spectria »

ford31 wrote:tires have never been flat 30 lbs is what I put in them 12 years ago,never been outside no cracking, my grandson was driving around town last week and said seemed to have flat spots,fist time out for a year
If your tires seem to be square, then it may be the flat spots are just Nylon which, as Shorthaul posted, gets a set in them. Drive them long enough to get them warm and that will go away, then come back again and again.

No cracking or being flat is a very good thing!
Shorthaul
Body Type: 186 stake

Post by Shorthaul »

This is my personal opinion about snap rings. If you make sure the the ring and rim is clean and free of rust, lubricate the tire with a solution, soapy water or my preference is wd40, sprinkle the inside of the tire with cornstarch or baby powder to keep the tube and flap from getting stiction (for lack of a better word) place the wheel on the ground with the ring on the bottom side, apply some air and it will bead very easily with very little pressure, probably 10 lbs or less. Turn it over to make sure it's beaded and the ring is seated, turn it back over and fill it to recommended pressure.

I think where one may get into trouble is trying to fill a tire when the ring and rim is corroded, tube is twisted or stuck because it is dry and won't fill evenly, the tire is dry and won't bead and therefor with way too much pressure, instead of the tire beading the ring may decide to relocate to a different zip code.

I think if a tire were to blow after it was beaded it would scare the crap out of you, I don't think the ring would fly because all the energy would be released through the blown area.

Again, this is just the way I do it, I'm not suggesting you change your own tires and im sure not trying to get anyone hurt because I need all your help with my just starting project.
spectria

Post by spectria »

Shorthaul wrote:...I think where one may get into trouble is trying to fill a tire when the ring and rim is corroded, tube is twisted or stuck because it is dry and won't fill evenly, the tire is dry and won't bead and therefor with way too much pressure, instead of the tire beading the ring may decide to relocate to a different zip code.

I think if a tire were to blow after it was beaded it would scare the crap out of you, I don't think the ring would fly because all the energy would be released through the blown area...
DANGER, DANGER, WILL ROBINSON!!!!

Warning, don't not fill split rim tires as suggested here!!!

Use a cage, or mount the rim on your axle, split ring in, BEFORE YOU ADD AIR!!!

Please, do not risk a dislocated split ring. 20 psi can send a rim 40 feet in the air.

Placing the split ring down, means all the energy will be released in your face, the rim having no place to go but UP. This has happenned many time, I personally know of someone who was killed by filling a split rim at a gas station island, along with his son, as they both leaned over the wheel while filling the tire...

Sorry Shorthaul, your method is correct except the part about adding air...
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A
Model Year: 1930

Post by Chris Haynes »

Many people have been killed or seriously injured when filling split rim tires.
littlepapaw
Body Type: express
Model Year: 1929

Post by littlepapaw »

I would not recommend anyone repairing their own tire of this type without professional experience or on site supervision. If I am out of my cage let me know and I will crawl back in. I have had tires blow up in my face and other ways. My best friend had half his face repaired because of a tire blow up during inflation. I would air my own up and repair, but I have had training to perform this type of service. I am not sure all of us can or should do this. I do not want any of us hurt, but we also need the freedom to pursue new things we haven't done before. Somewhere there is a safe zone and I think our leadership will address this and I will support their wishes and anyone who wants my help as long as our leaders agree and approve. littlepapaw
rollingsculpture
Body Type: platform

Post by rollingsculpture »

i wrote this in the valve stem thread but think its worth repeating here let me know what you think
, i placed my bent tube stems in backwards to the inside of the rim so that the guy filling the tube has to be facing away from the snap rings to have access to the valve in the event the snap ring wants to fly off . heres why.i went to a commercial tire shop where they replace tires on big trucks and tractors.when i took my tires to be inflated i noticed several things. the tire cage wasnt much of a cage it was a rack that was open in which something could escape . and the guys there were not too concerned about snap rings. if one of those things let loose i didn't want to see it ! so when i packed my tires and set the rings i put the stem facing in , this also makes the inflation for duellies easy since the other way would have them facing each other on the inside I)(I
modeleh
Model Year: 1930

Post by modeleh »

Other safety tips to consider: Use a clip on tire chuck on a long length of air hose attached to a regulator like you would use for painting. Have the regulator wound all the way out so there will be no air transmitted when you clip on the chuck, then go back to the regulator and slowly turn up the regulator so it reads 5 or 10 psi or whatever, then back the regulator back to zero and go check the rim. That way you're nowhere near it when inflating. The suggestion of installing the rim backwards is a good one, and it doesn't hurt to run a chain through a few of the spoke holes in the budd wheels and around the tire as added safety.
spectria

Post by spectria »

rollingsculpture wrote:i wrote this in the valve stem thread but think its worth repeating here let me know what you think
, i placed my bent tube stems in backwards to the inside of the rim so that the guy filling the tube has to be facing away from the snap rings to have access to the valve in the event the snap ring wants to fly off . heres why.i went to a commercial tire shop where they replace tires on big trucks and tractors.when i took my tires to be inflated i noticed several things. the tire cage wasnt much of a cage it was a rack that was open in which something could escape . and the guys there were not too concerned about snap rings. if one of those things let loose i didn't want to see it ! so when i packed my tires and set the rings i put the stem facing in , this also makes the inflation for duellies easy since the other way would have them facing each other on the inside I)(I
There is no accounting for the quality of tire guys...

There must be a correct way to orient the stems, probably in the judging stansards, which I don't have.

Check out the photo for the solution to stems facing in.
Tire inflator 90670.gif
Tire inflator 90670.gif (42.59 KiB) Viewed 7077 times