BB Oilpan & Pump

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
TomH
Body Type: pickup
Model Year: 1928

BB Oilpan & Pump

Post by TomH »

Took the oil pan off our 32 BB today. My 32 service instructions manual shows 2 different 4 cyl. oil pumps. I'm not sure if mine is either of them. I have 4 nuts on the bottom and 2 screws that go down through the top. My book says to clean the screen, and it looks like it needs it. How do I clean it? Does the whole pump have to come apart? Also there is a plate in the oil pan. Does that remove in order to clean the sludge out of the pan?
Attachments
Bweboilpan.jpg
Bweboilpan.jpg (58.12 KiB) Viewed 4151 times
Bweboilpump2.jpg
Bweboilpump2.jpg (43.3 KiB) Viewed 4152 times
Bweboilpump1.jpg
Bweboilpump1.jpg (61.22 KiB) Viewed 4150 times
Need rear fenders and running boards for 1932 131" single wheel Express Body
E.Moore
Model Year: 1930

Re: BB Oilpan & Pump

Post by E.Moore »

The oil pump will slide straight down out of the block. Remove the two screws holding the cover on and remove the screen and clean it. Remove the 4 bolts on the bottom and remove the two gears and examine them for wear, scoring, pitting from water, etc. This is a standard Model A type oil pump. The lock washers will generally break when they are reused, so get a new bolt and lock washer set, examine the plate that keeps the gears in place and replace it if it is worn from the gears and replace the spring at the bottom of the pump. The spring keeps tension on the pump to keep the pump held firmly up into the block when the oil pan is installed. If the oil pan has a clean out plate that is large enough to slide the entire pump through, the clean out hole could be used to make reinstalling the pump easier after the oil pan is installed, but I just saw that this pump has the anti slosh baffle, which should definitely be reused, so the pump will have to go back in before the oil pan is reinstalled.
Rob29
Body Type: 88-A
Model Year: 1929

Post by Rob29 »

I have a 29 AA that I just removed the oil pump from. Unlike every description I've seen, mine has the screen cover as one piece with the pump body, i.e. there aren't two fillister head screws. Also, the spring is attached to the oil pan cleanout plate vs. the oil pump cover. Was this some variant pump model or a unique retrofit? If a retrofit, someone did a very neat job.
Rob29
Body Type: 88-A
Model Year: 1929

Post by Rob29 »

Here's a photo of the pump I have w/o a removable cover.
Attachments
oil pump.jpg
oil pump.jpg (457.51 KiB) Viewed 2910 times