Engine recommendations invited

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
russ
Body Type: 82a
Model Year: 1930

Engine recommendations invited

Post by russ »

Today was i biggy for me as a finally got 'er up on all six feet. Will roll 'er outta the garage tomorrow to get a pic. Nuthin' but a bare rolling chassis, but plenty pleased anyhow. One front brake still needs some trouble-shooting to resolve a sticking issue.

So it's time to get goin' on the engine. It ran great before i broke off a head stud "fixing" it. Now engine is partially apart on engine stand. If i could get away with nothing more than a complete clean-up and inspection of parts, that's what i'd like to do. However, it there are specific mods that are no-brainers for add-on, i'd be interested in hearing what you think that might be. Also, if you think there are other mods that are a poor idea, i'd like to know about that too.

I don't feel the need for any more zip in the engine than it had when it was new. If it runs that well after i'm done with it, i'll be thrilled. Like i said though, if there's something out there like a rear main seal that just shouldn't be passed up i'd be happy to look into it.

I've seen quite a bit of aftermarket mods, both performance and otherwise. I just wouldn't really want to do a mod without hearing from others who've tried it.
Everybody likes pics.
miner art
Body Type: AA flt.BD.82a
Model Year: 1929

Re: Engine recommendations invited

Post by miner art »

Russ,pull the pan,check the rods,loose play ect., if all is well,wash it out good, face the head,new gasket ,valve job,plugs,ect. if it runs good,if not,start from scratch ,my goood guru from ashland suggested that,WALLY CANNON,bless his heart,no longer with us,no doubt havin a time with HENRY!!!!!!!!!!

HASKINS GARAGE ASHLAND OREGON
russ
Body Type: 82a
Model Year: 1930

Re: Engine recommendations invited

Post by russ »

Howdy Art, thanks for the response. I did pull it down yesterday and found the rod babbitting to be shot. Thrust bearing at rear was shattered and gone too. Must be strong engines cause this thing ran great before i snapped off a head bolt.
I'm inclined to get a stock rebuild other than insert rods and mains. I probably need to go with a full pressure system to make the new bearings survive, not sure.
I'm already using the Nurex electronic ignition and that is a great product IMHO.
I dont' think i want anything else altered on the engine.
I'm going to have to get a second job to pay for the rebuild. It's something i'm not equipped to do myself in terms of specific knowledge and tools.
Everybody likes pics.