What books to buy

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
markp68
Model Year: 1929

What books to buy

Post by markp68 »

Hi all,
I have been asked a few times about the ID numbers are on the frame of my 1929 AA. I found the numbers and they are AA 2641697. The engine numbers are A 650132. I thought I read on here somewere that they should match. Can anyone tell me what they mean?

My next question is some times I read on here that guys are refering to manuals that they have. Where can I find more info on a 1929 AA truck? Which ones would you recommend for someone who is new to the model A world? Mainly I need info on the chassis. At least for now!
Thanks for the help
Mark
E.Moore
Model Year: 1930

Re: What books to buy

Post by E.Moore »

Get in touch with Neil Wilson and get a copy of all of the back issues of the AA Truck Publication that have been issued. Join the AA Truck Club and you will continue to receive those publications. They are full of information that is not available anywhere else.

Get the Model A Judging Standards, Model A Technically Speaking issues, Les Andrews techncial literature, and the big Green Ford Parts Book from 1928 through 1948. Exploded view illustrations of many of the assemblies are in that book. Get a copy of the Ford parts book issued to Ford dealers. For correct parts, get the issue that would have been sent to Ford dealers just after your truck was made. Sacramento Vintage Ford Parts has about the best selection of AA reproduction parts, but other vendors like Brattons, Smith & Jones, Snyders, Mac's also can get AA repro parts. Most of the time, the vendors have to back order the things you need.

The engine in your truck is from an earlier year, as it is only 6 digits. Many times, the engine was replaced when something happened to the original one, and when the swap occured, the frame number and the engine number no longer matched. They don't have to match, but if you are restoring a truck for judging, it will be judged based on the engine number, which is the only number that can be verified when the truck is all together. The judging standards has a listing of the years and months that the serial numbers were made in.
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Re: What books to buy

Post by Neil Wilson »

2641697 is for a December 1929 engine build date. The "AA" prefix means that the clutch was for an AA. It would have gone into a December 1929 or January 1930 (possibily February) AA.

As Eric indicates, the engine in your AA is a replacment. It is from an A and not the original engine for the truck.
Regards, Neil Wilson