Dang, extra parts again

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
russ
Body Type: 82a
Model Year: 1930

Dang, extra parts again

Post by russ »

Ok, the whole rear end thing went really well and all tolerances, clearances, and specs worked out well. Now it's time to move on to the torque tube and i've got these three parts which surely belong to that assembly.

One is a paper gasket. Another is a thick steel shim that measures .060, and another steel shim that measures .070

Thing is, it's not clear to me what sequence these three parts go in. I've had a look in the green bible and the AA supplement drawing, but am not really getting a sense of what goes where.

This is all going to happen of course between the rear of the torque tube and the face of the pinion flange.

I'd really appreciate any guidance you folks might be able to offer.

I'm going to go back into the Service Bulletins to see if i can find some guidance there.

everybody likes pics :D
Matt Kroll

Re: Dang, extra parts again

Post by Matt Kroll »

Russ,

You say you've got your diff all sorted out? Is it together? Did you install a shim between the pinion bearing sleeve/housing flange and the diff housing (that is, if it had one to begin with)?

-Matt
Matt Kroll - WY8R
http://www.smokypond.com/
russ

Post by russ »

Howdy Matt, yup there was a paper thin steel shim twixt the diff and pinion. It was there when i took it apart, and it's back there again now. Pinion to diff backlash was .005 without any changes by me. I'm thinkin' that's pretty fair based on the service bulletin specs of .003-.008

I'm still curious what arrangement of steel shims and paper gaskets you folks had at the back end of your torque tube when you took it apart.

I continue to look for anything telling about the need for 1/1000 of an inch measurements at the back of the torque tube. :?:
Everybody likes pics.
Brian T
Body Type: 82A
Model Year: 1929

Post by Brian T »

Hello Russ,
Those shims go between the pinion housing and the differential housing, see page 413 Fig 829, they look like the ones in your pics, they control the depth of the pinion into the ring gear not the backlash although it does affect it.
It tells you to reinstall the same amount of shims that you removed, the depth originally was set at the factory, if you look at page 421 it mentions the 3 sizes of shims 005-060-and 070, then go to page 556 and this tells you that housings were changed and the thicker shims were deleted.
So unless you had more than one differential in pieces all the shims belong in this axle, hopefully the backlash will still be in spec using the method on page 414, as for the gasket, the model “A” cars some have it between the torque tube and the axle and some not ,
Brian T.
Nothing can be made fool proof, fools are ingenious bastards.
Drew Mashburn

Post by Drew Mashburn »

Russ:

Did you see my post under your "Matt, a pic question" in the AA Ford Discussion? It describes how my assembly came apart. I believe it's just like what Brian T. just described. I need to locate my two shims to check their thicknesses.

-- Drew
Drew Mashburn
russ

Post by russ »

Brian T wrote: if you look at page 421 it mentions the 3 sizes of shims 005-060-and 070, then go to page 556 and this tells you that housings were changed and the thicker shims were deleted.
Oh 2 Grand Slams there Brian. I read in the bulletins about the change in flange thickness on the diff depending on year, but the info must have simply bounced off the side of my head.

Second Grand Slam falls right into place considering i did indeed dis-assemble three rear ends so i could ship off the high speed gears to other builders. That is surely where the .060 and .070 shims came from. So they really were extra parts!

That issue is behind me now and i can continue on with the build. A thousand thanks for the save. Same to all of you who are helping me with this project.
Everybody likes pics.
russ

Post by russ »

Drew, thanks a ton for confirming what seems to make sense now that i know i've got two thick steel gaskets (.060 and .070) that don't belong to this assembly due to diff flange thickness.

Don't nobody go nowhere, i'll be back shortly with more crazy stuff. :roll:
Everybody likes pics.
Brian T
Body Type: 82A
Model Year: 1929

Post by Brian T »

Hello again Russ,
There is nothing like a success story, I have been involved with 2 vehicles today that I helped find answers for, yours and a problem with a new 2009 Volvo makes an old guy feel good.
Onward as you say ---- I see something coming up that you will have to deal with eventually, (not critical), that will help me.
As you may know you are using front and rear axles that use Budd wheels, which did not come on your April 29 frame, so that good looking spare wheel carrier I saw with your shim pics from yesterday will not work for your wheels, as mine was missing I am in need of one, so you know what I am thinking don’t you.
Brian T.
Nothing can be made fool proof, fools are ingenious bastards.
russ

Post by russ »

Holy crap Brian, yer freakin' me out. :shock: You may well be right 'bout this. I'm gonna be mounting wheels back on the truck in the next few days. I'll have a look at it then, and figure out what i want to do about it.

If it ends up needing to come off, we'll talk and work something out. Like you said, that's a ways down the road before needing to be resolved.
Everybody likes pics.