Bogging Down

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Gerald
Model Year: 1930

Bogging Down

Post by Gerald »

I have a 1929 AA with 3 speed transmission and worm gear rear end. The engine has good compression and starts and runs well with no missing. I live in a mountainous area of N.C. and have just recently tagged this truck. Last week I was going up a fairly steep grade and had to use low gear. Near the top the truck bogged down and would go no farther. I rolled back to a flat spot, got up a little more speed and managed to slowly crest the hill the next time without bogging. What has me puzzled is that I have crossed this hill before with no problem. Any suggestions as to why this truck would lose power? It starts and runs fine, no smoke. It does however overheat after a hard uphill pull of abut 4 or 5 minutes. When it bogged, I had the spark at full advance and the carburator adjuster about 1/4 turn open. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. I am sure from this post all of you will see that I am a total newbie to AA Fords....but I love them. Thanks.

Gerald
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

You probably know that the AA engine is the same as the A engine. So, you may find some A experts to help also.

The overheating could be caused by the points not opening enough. When the engine is going up steep grades the spark should be retarded some (not fully advanced). This is how an automatic spark control would work.

You can also check the linkage to the carburetor to make sure it opens the throttle completely when the pedal is to the floor. I have found this to be a problem more than once. This will also prevent reaching full power on the flat runs.
Regards, Neil Wilson
BigAl

Post by BigAl »

My 28 Fourdor had the same problem. Fuel is your next step to look at. My car firewall bowl was full of dirt/rust, then the screen in the carb was partially blocked. When the engine needed all it could get, not enough fuel was getting in which robbed the power. It got soooooo bad that the engine even started to quit and backfire. Which made me think electrical. But no, it was dirt. I also took the carb apart and cleaned every part I could find. Ran tiny drill bits through the holes to clean the built up crap that was in the passage ways. Try this!
Alan.....

Post by Guest »

Sorry for taking so long to thank those of you that offered help with my problem. I tried all suggestions regarding the radiator, water pump, etc...all the cooling system problems. I went to the AOOGHA website and the MAFCA sites and researched every topic I could find relating to overheating and loss of power. Most of them always mentioned the timing. Since I am new to Model A engines...I figured if it started OK and idled OK (which mine did) then the timing had to be right....WRONG. I checked my distributor and found that the points were burned a little and the gap between the rotor button and distributor body was not even at all points. I ordered a new distriutor cap, body, rotor, points, cam and condensor. I printed off a copy of Les Andrews' timing instructions from the MAFCA site and went to work. The article said to first check and see if the point baseplate moved in its entire arc when the timing lever was moved through its full range....the base plate should move approximately 20 degrees. Mine was moving half that. I bent the rod a little and got it adjusted fine. I then replaced all the parts and timed the engine according to instructions. It started right up. The first time I drove it I literally could not believe the difference! Hills that I use to climb in low gear I can now cross easily in second. (original 3 speed transmission). Long hills that I use to cross in second I can now climb in high gear! On flat ground the truck now gets up to speed faster and the top speed is more. I can actually run 50 mph but try to stay about 40. ALSO.... no overheating! Previous to working on the timing, if I had to run the truck uphill for over a minute, it would start steaming and boil over. Parades were a nightmare. Now I go anywhere I want...uphill...down...no overheating and no bogging! I told my wife after the first time I drove it after the fix that I thought someone had but a turborcharger on it! The difference is that great.

Just though I would pass along my success in case there is anyone else that might have a similar problem. Thanks again for all the help.
Gerald

Sorry

Post by Gerald »

Just posted the message above and see that I am listed as a "Guest". I forgot to login! Sorry. Thanks again for the help.

Gerald