AAC trucks

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Downunder Rob
Model Year: 1930

AAC trucks

Post by Downunder Rob »

I thought i would post some pics of AAC trucks.
they are very diferent to US trucks.
the diff is manufactured by Timken.
the brake cable is one piece, it runs from the front wheel on one side around a pulley system to the differential back around the pulley system on the oposite side and back to the other front wheel.
we had open tail shafts untill 1930 which required the use of a torque rod to keep the diff in position.
after 1930 we had a enclosed tail shaft with the clamps that rotate around the diff like the US units.
our clamps are larger than the US units so are not interchangable. on the early diffs there was no clamps system, it was fixed position. they had an inherent problem that when loaded the diff was force backward engaging the brake. there fore it was a requirement to just get the brakes to operate when unloaded so there was enough adjustment when loaded.
Attachments
Rear Brake Drum
Rear Brake Drum
DSCF2062.JPG (32.65 KiB) Viewed 9137 times
Brake cable
Brake cable
tr3.jpg (27.64 KiB) Viewed 9137 times
Timken Differential
Timken Differential
brake cable2.jpg (28.15 KiB) Viewed 9135 times
Downunder Rob

Re: AAC trucks

Post by Downunder Rob »

More Pics
Attachments
Australian Egan Body AAC
Australian Egan Body AAC
compressed.jpg (34.65 KiB) Viewed 9130 times
layout of AAC truck
layout of AAC truck
aa manuals0007.JPG (28.75 KiB) Viewed 9132 times
Rear Brake internals
Rear Brake internals
DSCF2065.JPG (29.83 KiB) Viewed 9128 times
Brady
Body Type: None

Post by Brady »

Hello Rob:
Thanks for posting the AAC photos. Areas of major interest in a comparison of Keith's truck and your photos are the front axle and the lube chart. The steering column is like US, and shows the front not to have the semi-eliptic spring set up. The left side torque arm appears on Keith's truck, but we can't see the brake cable pulley. I'm wondering if the frame could have been spliced with a different front. The hood stretch, radiator detail, and front axle center line under the fender arc point to some creative assembly, if nothing else. If Keith would post some detailed photos of the front and underside, the mysterey might be closer to being solved. It looks like a great project, and as it obviously was once in use- it could be crusing once again... even if it does go down the wrong side of the road.
miner art
Body Type: AA flt.BD.82a
Model Year: 1929

Post by miner art »

WOW!,that is different,but nonetheless similar to US. version,can't wait to visit,such a diverse country!
The miner
SHELBY MESSER
Body Type: 75-A

Post by SHELBY MESSER »

Rob. looks like the doors are '28 roadster doors and the lower half back of the cab is roadster or 76A body. The cowl is either, closed or open cab. the door post and windshield are closed cab or body either car or truck. Not formilier with the AAC trucks. Brake shoes like those I have never seen before,but look good with hand brakes and foot brakes together like in the photo. Good luck! Keep on trucking! Shelby, Louisiana. USA.
Downunder Rob

Post by Downunder Rob »

the doors are either totaly timber and steel skinned or Model A Roadster/ phaeton. the rear panel is a pressing. the window frames are either fabricated brass frame or Roadster / Phaeton depending on the builder.
the cowl / fuel tank as pointed out are stock Model A. The pillars are all timber.
A lot of Model A's in Australia were assembled here using a variety of materials. In the early to Mid 1900's we had a requirement for Local content and inter comonwealth tax reductions. So Henry being a smart man set up the Canadian divisions. these divisions could sell to Australia with out incuring high import taxes on none comonwealth comodities.
Ford Australia was set up in 1925 in Geelong 80km south west of Melbourne. They registered the Ford Manufacturing and Ford Motor companies. Ford still manufacture there today.
Comercial vehicles were built in 2 ways either bodies delivered to the factory by out side body builders or completly built by outside builders.
My truck is a body built by Morley's in Sydney and the other finished vehicle above is an Egan Body.
there were other factory approved builders in other states like Boltons in Western Australia.
Ford Australia also manufacture Pickup with integral bodies (one piece from the door to the tail gate).
Australian Model numbers are also different, the trucks above are type 502 models.
A pick up in Australia was called a Light delivery. the type numbers were between 301 and 305.
A panel van was a type 408 on an A Model chassis and 520 on an AA Chassis.
Attachments
Type 302 built by Egan Body Works to Ford Australia Specs
Type 302 built by Egan Body Works to Ford Australia Specs
Egan 302.1.jpg (54.53 KiB) Viewed 8942 times
New Cab Metal Clad
New Cab Metal Clad
30-07-06_1537.jpg (65.68 KiB) Viewed 8942 times
New Morley Cab
New Morley Cab
cab6.jpg (84.61 KiB) Viewed 8940 times
tiredtruckrestorer
Model Year: 1931

Post by tiredtruckrestorer »

tiredtruckrestorer

tiredtruckrestorer

Shorthaul
Body Type: 186 stake

Post by Shorthaul »

I just want to thank all for the pictures and comments.
farmerden
Body Type: AAC
Model Year: 1928

Post by farmerden »

Since about 1970 I've had a AA parked in my barn waiting for the day when I got younger! to restore it. It is a basket case but complete.I assumed it was an AAR because of the red steering wheel,emergency on the left ,and the front fenders are slightly differently shaped on that inside rear curve [later 28/29's have a more severe line than these which have a rounded shape] But it's the cab which is different -higher windshield ,doors are wood covered with tin. Imagine my surprise when I found out these cabs are the same as the yellow one from 'down under' I had another one in the 60's same cab but it had that big round rear end in it with wooden spokes for wheels.This one has a worm drive and wire wheels. What was standard? Or here in Canada did we just get whatever was left over? I'm downsizing now [smaller house and bigger shop-my wifes idea] and can hardly what to finally start fixin' the ol' girl up. Couple of steam boats and a AA truck-life is good. Thanks for starting this forum without it I would be all alone! Den :D
tiredtruckrestorer

Hello Den,

According to the Candian-Austrailian Service Bulletins, the wire spoke wheel was used from 1-1-28 to 9-30-28, when it then changed to the Canadian Budd disc design for the rest of 1928. My Canadian parts book shows that the worm drive was only listed for 1928. There were two body companies making cabs for the 1928-29 models in Canada. The cab shown on my truck is a Brandtford cab. The other cab manufacturer was Gray Body(or Grey, not sure of the spelling). You usually can tell a Canadian cab because they used Robertson type screws in the interior. I was told that the reason the Canadian Fords used different components was that there were import duties on parts shipped to the Canadian plants so Ford would use Canadian suppliers where he could.

Keith
farmerden
Body Type: AAC
Model Year: 1928

Post by farmerden »

Thanks Keith OK so where do the wooden spoke wheels shown on your truck and my first truck come from-leftover TT stuff? And every one says there is only one 28/29 front fender-well mine are different and I saw one more like at a swap meet -a friend bought it and I told him it was different but I never followed up on it cause it was better shape than my pass. one . It's interesting how these old A's can be the same only different. Thanks Den
SHELBY MESSER
Body Type: 75-A

Post by SHELBY MESSER »

Rear axle housing look more modern. (banjo type). The TT wooden spoke wheels may bolt up to the hubs! Shelby, Louisiana. USA.
Downunder Rob

Post by Downunder Rob »

shelby
as far as i know after working on Australian TT's the AA wooden wheels are not interchangable.
wooden wheels were avaliable till the end of production, wire wheels were rare in Australia, we also had steel spiders for duel wheels and solid discs on early trucks.
i will try to find some pics.