sad jackshaft tube

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
russ
Body Type: 82a
Model Year: 1930

sad jackshaft tube

Post by russ »

In the neverending quest to find worn out parts on this ol' truck, i've come across a really sad jackshaft tube. She's got at least 3 ventilation ports, some superfine welding in several rings around the tube, and even a possible flared tube end likely from pounding on the u-joint for an unknown amout of years. At least i think it's from the u-joint because there was no spring in front of the jackshaft at the trans tailshaft to keep the jackshaft from rattlin' around in there.

If you think you might have a better looking tube around your shop than the one shown below, i sure would be happy to purchase it from ya before i lock this one back in the truck forever (or at least till the next time the rear end comes out).

So how 'bout it? If you've got one that'll likely never see service again, shout out and i'll be happy to settle up for a proper part.

As always, thanks in advance.

Everybody likes pics.
Shorthaul
Body Type: 186 stake
Model Year: 1931

Re: sad jackshaft tube

Post by Shorthaul »

Russ,

I haven't got that deep into my truck to get that part in my hand and I'm curious as to what function that raised coller behind the bowl type flange is for.

That tube looks repairable with a couple of small patches and maybe cut the end off that is screwed up and add a short piece. Don't know about the flared section, looks fixable? Although, the rest of your truck is so pretty don't know if you would want to go that way.

Terry
Brian T
Body Type: 82A
Model Year: 1929

Post by Brian T »

Hello Russ,
I would think an exhaust shop could fabricate that tube, it is not supposed to be flaired at the ends, but it does have reduced diameter at each end to stop its forward – backward movement.
This would be much better than patching it or replacing it latter, also note that there are some sealing felts that fit into the end caps, the vendors have them, and there is a breakdown picture of it on page 414 – in the SBs
Brian T.
Nothing can be made fool proof, fools are ingenious bastards.
russ

Post by russ »

Yeah Terry, it's usable as is but it sure is ugly.

Brian, that's a thought. I'm gonna hold out for the proper part. Surely someone has that tube laying around collecting dust. Fingers crossed.
Everybody likes pics.
Shorthaul
Body Type: 186 stake
Model Year: 1931

Post by Shorthaul »

Yeah I see how that tube works now. Mine has so much gunk on it and I never took a good look before. Like Brian said it does look easy to fab a new one. wouldn't want to have to make that hemisphere that it goes into though.
E.Moore

Post by E.Moore »

I may have one that is NOS - New Old Stock - But It Is Not Cheap. If Interested,, Send Me An Email. aaford157@nosford.com
vonheine
Body Type: none

Post by vonheine »

My jackshaft tube was also in bad shape. I fabricated a new one from a straight section of exhaust tubing purchased at the local automotive store. I turned the ends down on a lathe to fit the bell. It is all fresh steel, but not perfect as Henry's original equipment--I am also keeping an eye out for a nice Ford tube.
vh
russ

Post by russ »

I'm bettin' i can make this baby look like new with a bit of massagin' and a coat of paint to hide the sins. I'll keep ya'll posted with pics when the tube gets to the top of the list.
Thanks to all of ya for your help.
Everybody likes pics.