asymmetrical brake rod levers and rockers

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
russ
Body Type: 82a
Model Year: 1930

asymmetrical brake rod levers and rockers

Post by russ »

Some of the more difficult stuff for me is sorting out what belongs on this truck and what doesn't. It seems to be quite a mix of various years of parts. Presently i'm trying to make sense of assymetrical rear brake rod "rockers", and front brake actuating levers. I'm providing a few pics for your amusement and possible input. All responses welcome, even if yer jest guessin'. :D

First pic is the only two front brake actuating levers that came with this truck. Anything look wrong to you with this pair? Are they supposed to be assymetrical?

Second pic is of the rear brake rod "rockers". They're not symmetrical either. Are they supposed to be?

Does anyone know what years these various arms belong to?
Everybody likes pics.
Downunder Rob

Re: asymmetrical brake rod levers and rockers

Post by Downunder Rob »

The lever on the left of the first photo look very similar to ones i have seen on early Ford V8's.
as for the rockers may be it was one of Henry's cost savings?
if the eylets end up in the same place he may have looked at the one the left as using less material and the for costing less to produce.
russ

Post by russ »

Thanks Rob, we'll see how that holds up. I appreciate your thought.

Anyone else? Do these parts look anything like what's on your truck? If so, what year have you got. Mine is supposed to be mostly '30 on the chassis.

best, russ
Everybody likes pics.
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

Hello Russ,
You need to state the year (better month/year) of your truck when you put questions on the forum. There are many differences for the AA's depending on the year.

Your truck registry information with the FMAATC club shows that your truck is a 5/30 date with the 82-A cab. If this is correct, then it should not have the rear brake rod rocker arms.

The front brake cross shaft and lever is the same as the A. The Judging Standards shows the different levers and dates used. You should get the standards (sold by either national A clubs). The left lever was used January 1930 to end of production. The right lever was used mid 1929 through December 1929.

The left rocker arm is design 4 introduced in late '28. The right rocker arm is design 5 introduced in er/29.

For me, a given vehicle should have matching parts. I don't put an A/AA together with miss matching parts. It is kind of like collecting coin mint errors (yes, they occured but I am more interested in the normal production).
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by russ »

Howdy Neil, we're on the same page as far as how to put it back together. I would like very much to put only proper parts on the truck. The tough part for me has been figuring out what belongs on it. I'm not even sure it's not just a big hodge-podge a various year parts which would be really dissappointing since i wanted to put it all back to original.
Five years ago i purchased as much literature for the AA as i could get my hands on (a pretty substantial stack of books). I read it all over and over till i knew pretty much what was right and wrong on my own truck. I've since forgotten most everything i read and need to sit down for a day or two and reread it all.
I've got the "Standards" but haven't looked at it since way back. With a garage full of NOS and good used stuff, i've just been having a great time making big progress on it and being lazy when i can't remember stuff and thus asking here on the forum.
I appreciate the nudge toward my books. I've felt like kind of a bum just askin' for answers while knowing i've got books that cover most of my questions.
Much thanks for clearing up the levers and rockers. I'll take it from here. :oops: :D
Everybody likes pics.
E.Moore

Post by E.Moore »

A general rule of thumb on the front brake levers is that AA trucks with front shocks used the offset lever arms and the 30/31 without front shocks used the straight levers and they are longer than the passenger cars to generate a longer stroke.
Neil Wilson

Post by Neil Wilson »

It is sometimes hard for me to understand how much I DO NOT KNOW about the AA. I just checked the parts list and there is an AA-2084 front brake lever for 30/31. I also checked my '30/'31 front axles and they all have the longer AA-2084 lever. Even my early '30 restoration project!

Thanks for the information Eric.

Russ, what is the length of the two levers you show (center line of brake rod clevis to center line of the hole for the shaft?
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by russ »

Both arms have the same reach of 2.86" centerline to centerline.
Everybody likes pics.
Downunder Rob

Post by Downunder Rob »

Neil
i agree with you. we are always learning. Alot of the parts that people show on this web site were not avaliable in Australia, so it is interesting for myself to look and see differences between US and Canadian units.
i guess it is the same for people looking at Canadian AAC's.
the brake arm on the left were not avaliable here as well as many other parts. Heavy front Axles etc.
i guess we recieved a lot of parts that were obsolete in the US.
Multi Plate clutches were still avaliable for about 6 months after the change in the US.
we never recieved Improved AA truck in Australia at all. the old 28-29 cab was carried through to end of production.
Neil Wilson

Post by Neil Wilson »

Rob,
It sounds like reason the 82-A cab doors and so hard to find is partly a result of this cabs parts being used up on overseas production!
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by bud valerius »

Neil , another reason for the doors being hard to find might be the non ford bodys being built here in the US using the 28/29 doors also, You know I have that non ford body that was on a 31 AA using a 31 drive away cowl section & 28/29 doors. Bud
Neil Wilson

Post by Neil Wilson »

More on the front brake levers:

Attached is a picture with measurements showing the A and AA front brake levers. Russ, if your truck has a #3 frame cross member which is humped across the top side, then you have a '29 AA and it would have had the A-2084-B front brake levers. If your truck has a #3 frame cross member which is flat across the top, then you have a '30/'31 AA and it would have had the AA-2084 front brake levers.

Your measurement of 2.86" is close to 2-7/8" and is longer than the AA lever. So, I don't know what those levers are for???
Attachments
xAA-2084 & A-2084 Front brake levers 1c.jpg
xAA-2084 & A-2084 Front brake levers 1c.jpg (75 KiB) Viewed 5384 times
Regards, Neil Wilson