further bearing confusion

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
russ
Body Type: 82a
Model Year: 1930

further bearing confusion

Post by russ »

I see Sac Vintage shows a bearing #AA-4645 in their Axle-Rear catagory for the forward end of the '30-'31 AA drive shaft that looks nothing like mine. Mine looks like the pic Brian posted in this thread. The one Sac Vintage has doesn't really interest me since it is narrower than mine and would only create a problem. I'm going to put an additional factory spacer at the front of mine twixt the speedo face and the c-clip to take up the slack to see if i can get a proper speedo gear alignment at the orifice.
Oops, i mean twixt the bearing and speedo. :roll:
Everybody likes pics.
E.Moore

Re: further bearing confusion

Post by E.Moore »

Russ, Be careful about the space between the seal and the bearing race. If there is a gap between the two parts, then the bearing will ride down on the seal thrust washer and may crack at the gap between the bearing race and the seal thrust washer. If the bearing comes apart, you would have a real mess all the way to the pinion gear.
Brian T
Body Type: 82A
Model Year: 1929

Post by Brian T »

Russ,
That picture Sac Vin show is of a pinion pilot bearing not the front driveshaft bearing , Brattons and Snyder’s show the correct one , what I don’t see is the race that it rides in , maybe comes with it , I would ask who ever you purchase from.
Brian.
Attachments
SNYDERS # AA-4645.jpg
SNYDERS # AA-4645.jpg (7.52 KiB) Viewed 3062 times
BRATTONS # 06440.jpg
BRATTONS # 06440.jpg (3.92 KiB) Viewed 3062 times
Nothing can be made fool proof, fools are ingenious bastards.
Robert Gray

Post by Robert Gray »

Russ...i have that bearing and the metal sleeve that it works in that came off with the drive gear I sent you.....you can have it for the same 5 buck postage if you want it.

Bob
russ
Body Type: 82a

Post by russ »

Thaks much Robert, i'm sure i'm squared away with my parts. Much appreciated.
Everybody likes pics.