Front wheel/hub assembly

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Barney1930
Body Type: 82A
Model Year: 1929

Front wheel/hub assembly

Post by Barney1930 »

I didn't see this disassembled, so I need some help for reassembly.
The grease baffle does not look like the illustrations in the manuals and parts catalogs. I cant figure out how it goes together, Here are the pictures.
front axel grease baffle 1.jpg
front axel grease baffle 1.jpg (19.83 KiB) Viewed 6143 times
I have shown both ways to mount it. Neither seems to fit, as it will not tighten down against the backing plate. Also, the bolts don't seem to be long enough to put cotter pins in the castle nuts.
Also. which way do the bolts go? castle nut against the backing plate or castle nits inside the grease baffle?
Attachments
front axel grease baffle 3.jpg
front axel grease baffle 3.jpg (20.65 KiB) Viewed 6144 times
front axel grease baffle 2.jpg
front axel grease baffle 2.jpg (20.61 KiB) Viewed 6144 times
REM
Model Year: 1930

Re: Front wheel/hub assembly

Post by REM »

It definitely mounts like the top picture but could this baffle be for a rear wheel. Are the spacers for mounting the e-brake carrier against. It has been a while but that is my guess.
E.Moore

Post by E.Moore »

The grease baffle mounts like the second picture. Refer to the Green Ford Parts Book page 20. Is your truck a 29 or a 30/31
Barney1930

Post by Barney1930 »

The truck is a 29 but it has been modified with a dually RE. I'm sure that these baffles came off the front, as we have been very careful to keep front wheel- back wheel-left-right-etc, separate.
maybe others can help with the ID of this strange grease baffle. It just doesn't want to go back together right anyway we try.
E.Moore

Post by E.Moore »

Did the grease baffle on the other side mount OK? If so, and if the baffle that is being difficult is identical to the other side, the top of the bolt holes may have curled in from previous tightening, just enough to prevent the bolts from going though the baffle.

The baffle bolt holes may need to be reamed or cleaned up.

If the baffle bolt holes do not align with the spindle, then the baffle is not the correct one and got mixedup at some point.
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

What year are the front backing plates??? Is that not the subject? The pictures are too small for my eyes. But, I think the backing plate is a '30/'31. Attached is a picture showing the grease baffle installed on a '30/'31 backing plate.
Attachments
xFront Brakes - 30-31.jpg
xFront Brakes - 30-31.jpg (87.92 KiB) Viewed 6042 times
Regards, Neil Wilson
Barney1930

Post by Barney1930 »

Well, of course we can't be sure about anything, because we haven't owned the vehicle its entire life.
The front hub assembly is definately a 4 bolt assembly. We know that. It does not look like the picture that Neil provided, as his is a 6 bolt assembly. The grease baffle has tube like shoulders around all 4 holes that are as high (or thick) as the baffle is thick. One surface of the baffle has an opening slightly smaller than the opening on the backing plate, so if we mount the baffle with that side toward the backing plate, it will not snug close to the backing plate and will not tighten snug against the backing plate. If we mount the baffle the other way, it will allow the backing plate and the sleeves on the baffle to mount snugly, and I believe that is the way it was mounted, so we will try that again.
Thanks.
Brian T

Post by Brian T »

Barney,
The grease baffle in the picture is for a 29 with 4 holes , the back plate is 30-31 as Neil said and has 6 holes , you must have mismatch parts or maybe you trying to install the larger brakes on a 29 axle ?.
Your other post with the grease retainer AA-1197 is for sure 29, so if this hub came off this axle as pictured when you took it apart you have the wrong backplate, if you end up not needing the grease retainers I will buy them from you.
Brian T.
Nothing can be made fool proof, fools are ingenious bastards.
Shorthaul
Body Type: 186 stake
Model Year: 1931

Post by Shorthaul »

Barney'

This is probably not your answer. I'm sure the baffle locates with the sleeves outward and I am wondering if you missed putting some kind of spacer on the opp. side of the backing plate which would move the backing plate out a tad and allow the smaller ID hole of the baffle to fit over the taper. Don't know about the bolts that you say look to be to short to safety wire.

Keep the faith!
Barney1930

Post by Barney1930 »

Well guys, I don't know what to say except this.
The hub is 4 bolt,
The backing plate is 4 hole,
The grease baffle is 4 hole.
We put it back together with the grease baffle smallest opening out, and everything went together. We have our fingers crossed that that is the right way.

Something else we discovered is that the Front Wheel Inner Dust Seal is larger than a replacement we had ordered, so we didn't replace it. (I had thought that there should be a felt washer that fit in that seal, but I'm told that is not true)
So we have a couple of Front Axle Inner Dust Seals still sitting on the bench unused. You just have to accept the fact that you are always going to have a few parts left over, aren't you?

Thanks for your help. The lesson to remember is that good pictures during dissassembly are worth their weight in gold when it comes time to put it all back together.
Brian T

Post by Brian T »

Barney,
Would you post a picture of the stub axle with the backing plate removed and then another picture just of the back plate , the backing plates look much deeper that my 29 plates, in addition a picture of the brake drums that you took off or intend to refit .
Nothing can be made fool proof, fools are ingenious bastards.
Barney1930

Post by Barney1930 »

Sorry, it's all put back together, both hubs.
If we have to take it apart for some reason, I'll try to remember to do that.
Barney
John - NNY

Post by John - NNY »

It must be good. Otherwise you would be leaking brake fluid everywere.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

John
NNY