gearlever

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
av8
Body Type: flat bed
Model Year: 1930

gearlever

Post by av8 »

Has anyone got a picture of the gear lever that you lift on the main gear lever to shift into reverse? Mine is missing so i might have to make one? Also looking for the inside drivers door panel the one that takes the window winder mech
Ta
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr
Model Year: 1931

Re: gearlever

Post by Bob C »

There is a reverse lockout lever on Ebay right now item 270474170128.
Brian T
Body Type: 82A
Model Year: 1929

Post by Brian T »

Hello AV8,
Here are 2 pics of the gear lever,if you need the complete pages that show how to adjust it let me know,these came from the 28-31 service bulletins,a book you will find very helpful.
Brian T.
Attachments
GEARSHIFT.jpg
GEARSHIFT.jpg (18.92 KiB) Viewed 3923 times
GEARSHIFT 1.jpg
GEARSHIFT 1.jpg (15.61 KiB) Viewed 3923 times
Nothing can be made fool proof, fools are ingenious bastards.
av8
Body Type: flat bed

Post by av8 »

Thanks ever so, but he dont take pay pal and its a bit of a pain when your from the uk!
E.Moore

Post by E.Moore »

I have NOS reverse lockout levers & pins and I take paypal.

My email address is aaford157@nosford.com
TomH
Body Type: pickup
Model Year: 1928

Post by TomH »

Our 32 BB 4 speed transmission has a lever like this. What exactley does it do? The lever, and the rod move freely, however you can put the truck in reverse without using the lever. I have driven the truck in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and reverse. Am I doing damage to the transmission.
Tom H
Need rear fenders and running boards for 1932 131" single wheel Express Body
E.Moore

Post by E.Moore »

If the shifter can be moved into the reverse position without having to lift the lever, the reverse linkage on the shifter is either stuck or worn out.

The reverse lockout was installed to prevent the shifter from beiing shifted into reverse while shifting from 3rd to 4th.

This can be done upshifting a worn transmission. As long as you are conscious about upshifting from 3rd to 4th, you can get by without having it work. It is not hurting anything by being disabled, but you risk damage to gears if it is accidentally moved into reverse while moving forward.

You might take the shifter out and see if it is just stuck from sludge or if something is worn out. That way, you will know what is causing the issue.