Universal Transmisson Co

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
farmerden
Body Type: AAC
Model Year: 1928

Universal Transmisson Co

Post by farmerden »

I have one of these [there are pictures under my AAC listing] Any one know anything about them? Den
Roy Williams
Body Type: Express
Model Year: 1929

Re: Universal Transmisson Co

Post by Roy Williams »

I have one also! I couldn't find your picture but here's a picture of the one connected to my TT worm rear end.

Roy Williams

Post by Roy Williams »

I just found your picture on page 2. I see yours like mine was made in Washington. They were also made in Oakland California but I haven't had much luck getting information. Is your housing aluminum?
farmerden

Post by farmerden »

Yep thats it!Mines brass. I guess I should have checked the patent date-so its a TT accessory? Is it a two speed with direct for hi? Mine needs to be rebuilt From the looks of yours it is in working orderImage
Image[/img]
Roy Williams

Post by Roy Williams »

I have not run mine on the street yet but have checked operation. It appears to be under, Direct and High.
farmerden

Post by farmerden »

Maybe a dumb question but like Model T owners switching to A's with a clutch ,how did they shift the Aux. with no clutch?I shifted the big trucks just by backing off the throttle etc but never having driven a T I was wondering. Den
flatford39

Post by flatford39 »

farmerden wrote:Maybe a dumb question but like Model T owners switching to A's with a clutch ,how did they shift the Aux. with no clutch?I shifted the big trucks just by backing off the throttle etc but never having driven a T I was wondering. Den
That is a good question. I am curious as well.
Downunder Rob
Model Year: 1930

Post by Downunder Rob »

having driven a couple of Model T's with over drives going into over drive is just a matter of rev's and sliping it straight in. Going back to direct was slip it out push the gear pedal half way in to find neutral give it some revs and slip the gear in and release the pedal.
T models do have a clutch. it is half way between 1st and 2nd gear on the pedal.
farmerden

Post by farmerden »

well that answers that question Thanks Rob .I got married in a Model T and my good friend had a collection.We drove log trucks together and always thought there would be time to drive one of Bill's T's but he died and I lost a friend.So the moral is Enjoy life now! And I'll drive a T one day-I hope Den
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed
Model Year: 1931

Post by spectria »

T models do have a clutch. it is half way between 1st and 2nd gear on the pedal.
:D :wink:
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org
rollingsculpture
Body Type: platform

Post by rollingsculpture »

since your on the subject of TTs i am looking at one out here and need to know if the differential on the TT has A 2 speed shifter on the worm drive as this seems to have a device on it for that purpose
Attachments
worm drive TT.jpg
worm drive TT.jpg (43.62 KiB) Viewed 8720 times
spectria

Post by spectria »

I don't know, but I thought that is what that is...
Roy Williams

Post by Roy Williams »

I'm a rookie and have not yet driven my TT and barly driven my AA but will add 2 cents on the recent postings and for discussion. The Ruckstell gave you a low and direct ratio's from the rear end. The TT has a low and high at it's transmission. On hills with the transmission in high and ruckstell low you get an intermediate range that could allow you to keep the RPM's up so you won't need to go into low range on the transmission and continue the climb with greater speed. well in low/ low the truck would have been extra slow but powerfull. High Ruckstell would be normal T transmission speeds. I think shifting all the straight gear transmissions had alot to do with speed and motor RPM's. I would think if your not an expereinced operator you could end up breaking something while shifting if not carefull . There is a newer syncromesh Lane Warford for the Model T that took care of that and is much easier to shift. I know of no syncromesh replacement for the AA Warford and it is noisy in high gear. I think the people that say it not so bad run with the higher 5:17 gears in the worm. With the lower speeds of 7:24 worm gears theres not much wind and road noisy to help mask the transmission noise. I know of no new high speed AA worm gears but there are currently high speed worm gear replacements for the TT. Both of my trucks currently have low speed worm gear rear ends and low, direct and high auxillary transmissions! I have high speed worm replacements and can't wait to see the differences they produce first hand. Thanks to all for postings and answers. It's fun and informative reading..
spectria

Post by spectria »

Roy, your truck is beautiful...

Makes me so sad... ;)

Someday...