newbie speed questions (31 AA 157" dually)

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
scl009
Model Year: 1931

newbie speed questions (31 AA 157" dually)

Post by scl009 »

I know this may open up a whole can of worms, but I was wondering if the differential limits the AA's highway speeds. Lets leave out the mechanical breaks/engine/split rims etc. I really want to know more about the differential specifically. Is it the gearing ratio?

I just get the feeling looking at this thing, that its bullet proof.

I realize that this is really ambigous, but any reading material or searches would be helpful. I apperently need help with choosing search terms.

Scott
Rosenkranswa
Model Year: 1930

Re: newbie speed questions (31 AA 157" dually)

Post by Rosenkranswa »

The Model A's are capable of 55-60, so I really doubt the differential in the AA is a limiting factor, and you could get higher speed gears for the AA which would boost the speed to the 45 range. That's quite a bit of weight for that 40 horse engine to move though, even empty.

Question is why would you want to go faster than 45 in an AA assuming you have the higher gears? There weren't any highways back then, and in most cases 35-45 was probably about as fast as you'd want to go anyway given the road conditions. I've often wondered what folks that had the big Packards, Dusenbergs, and Stutz's did (some of them could push 100) to find a place they could open them up on.
scl009

Post by scl009 »

The truth comes out.
I will go ahead and stick my neck out there, even though I'm pretty sure it will be under the guillotine.

I want to build a truck like Mr. AA's "1930 Ford Quad Cab Dumptruck." I've always wanted to do it and had never seen one, until he posted it about two weeks after I bought my AA chassis. I want to make it my daily driver. I realize its probably gonna take me 15 years to get it the way I want it, and some people won't like how I'm not going original, but it has been a dream of mine for some time now. I love all the looks of the A's but want it to be functional and used all the time. I want to use it for more than just parades (which is respectable in its own right, just not for me).

I do however agree with many and am not going to buy a whole vehicle and cut it all up or slaughter it. My plan is to buy old parts that others may scrap or use for peices. The plan is to use all ford parts and update it to juice brakes, install a 300 Ford I6, and other necessary components so it can be driven on the highway at 65-70 comfortably for not much more than an hour. But like I said I love the A's and only want to upgrade what is crucial, so that I can stay with the same look and preserve some of that history. I don't want a trailer queen and not looking to build a hot rod per say (I feel like my stomach is rolling over when I see someone "chop a top"). I just want to be able to use it all the time, from hauling to going to the grocery and even going to see family over an hour away.

That being said I would like to keep that big old differential and widow maker dual wheels. Not to mention the reverse rear spring in the back is a must. I think if that has to go, I'll cease the whole project (I love it its got to stay).

I hope nobody gets offended or too bent out of shape about my plans, and I hope it doesn't stop them from adding their input, but I am determined and they will not deter nor dissuade me.

Respectfully,
Scott
Jared275
Body Type: dUMP
Model Year: 1928

Post by Jared275 »

Your not alone on this, I was thinking the same thing after seeing the picture. I was thinking it would be cool to do it with a phaton body so it would look like a giant roadster pickup. But I do not have the funding for a second project. So best of luck with the project and be sure to post pics of your progess.
Regards,
Jared
Hardhatz
Body Type: Dump

Post by Hardhatz »

Bravo Scott, I think your idea is wonderful.

If you are willing to run a newer motor, (and an overdrive trans?), the ratio will be OK. The thing that holds the stock A back is that the motor just can't spin up very fast.
I think you should run a 31 style, because the older worm design has a lot of friction, and if you run it too hard it could get pretty hot. A little fuss to adapt the driveline though..

The 300 is awfully long, are you sure you want to stretch the hood? There are some very good fours out there.. A 2.3 out of a Merkur XR4Ti or Turbo T-Bird will make a lot more HP, and they have a very simple wiring/computer system.

I'm doing something similar, take a peek at my other posts.
BTW, where are you located?...

Ken
SoCal
Drew Mashburn

Post by Drew Mashburn »

Good Morning, All:

How do I get to Mr. AA's "1930 Ford Quad Cab Dumptruck"? I certainly like to see the photos of it.

-- Drew
Drew Mashburn
Boomer
Body Type: 82-A Closed Cab
Model Year: 1929

Post by Boomer »

I accessed it by clicking on the members tab and found him on the 2nd page of the M section. His most active topic has the picture of his truck.
Drew N.

1929 AA Closed Cab

Skol Vikings!
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed

Post by spectria »

Well scl009 , I have a 400 ford V8 with a C6 Automatic that would fit under the hood (tightly) and probably require no mods of the frame on a 157" chassis...

I have my eyes on a 157" that is in tatters in a local apple Orchard that I might be able to wrangle from the owner...

If I don't get that frame soon, it will probably end up a Hyundai, so as a Flatbed cruiser, it would be way cool.

I even would like to get a good used flatbed slideback tow truck and disguise the bed and meld it onto the 157".

Can you Imagine arriving at the shows with your A or T sitting on the bed, then get out and set it down just like they do the cars of today.

Oops, I'm dreaming again, but when I get that first lottery check, that's what I am gonna do...

:)

http://s645.photobucket.com/albums/uu17 ... inch%20AA/

Anbody know what year this thing is???
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org
scl009

Post by scl009 »

Hardhatz and Spectria
I know the 300 is a little long but I've seen a guy put one in a 2 door sedan. I really like the straight six engines, easy to work on, basically indestructable, great low end torque, and stock parts in most junk yards. Also like I previously stated i'm sure this is gonna take me 15 to 20 years to complete (maybe ten to get it mocked up and driving around). If it comes to stretching the hood, I guess thats ok, even though I would like to keep it more original.

I was thinking maybe a T18 but was also considering something like the T170 or NP435 with overdrives. I DO have the 31 style differential, at least I beleive so.

Also Spectria, that looks just like my 31 chassis, C channel not tapered in the rear of the frame, and same differential. I have been trying to figure out what date, but my chassis number is gone for the most part. I was told it was a 31 by the sellers which seemed like knowlegable and respectable people. Also someone posted a pic from a parts book of the 31 which looked just like mine but I can't seem to find it again

Drew
You can just search "quad cab" and it should be the first topic.

Scott - New Orleans , LA
Hardhatz
Body Type: Dump

Post by Hardhatz »

Scott,
The Mercruiser big four is half a Ford 460...
Does come with a Chebby bellhousing pattern though, in case that ruins it for you...
Drew Mashburn

Post by Drew Mashburn »

Drew N. and Scott:

I found Mr. AA's "1930 Quad Cab Dumptruck" with your assistance. Thanks for the assistance.

Mr. AA, Sweet job, Sir!

Just in case you guys have yet to figure it out, recently there's been two of us named "Drew" posting.

--Drew M.
Drew Mashburn
Shorthaul
Body Type: 186 stake

Post by Shorthaul »

Scott,

You do have the 31 rear end on your 157" AA frame, no question what it is! Also, you may try looking for the vin # right adjacent to the inner cab mounts, it has two holes in it.

Good luck with your idea, you may check out Mr AA's statement about his ride cruising nicely at 35 per hr before you decide to jack up the speed too much. I for one wouldn't want to bend into a turn at 60 in my 157wb stakebed.
Last edited by Shorthaul on November 13th, 2009, 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
farmerden
Body Type: AAC
Model Year: 1928

Post by farmerden »

So what's this obsession with going fast? You'll only get there sooner and have to turn around and go home! I can hardly wait to build my truck and see the world at thirty-five mph I'll see stuff you'll be so busy trying to stay on the road you'll miss the journey!! However it is your journey and by all means make it! I went fast when I was younger now i want to slow down!
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A

Post by Chris Haynes »

My stock Early 1930 with high speed gears will do 50 on the freeway.