ford script

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
29aaman
Model Year: 1930

ford script

Post by 29aaman »

Neil, i have a question that others might find of interest, i have a truck with ford written on the back of the cab up high, and a flat bed truck that says ford truck across the rear crossmember, it has three pockets with the writing on each side of the center pocket, until what year and month did they make them this way on the half tons and the double a's? also both trucks have the e brake on the far left what year and month did this go til thanks rich[/b]
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Post by Neil Wilson »

Rich,
The "Ford" script closed cab with high rear window was produced into March of '28 at least. I know of three March '28 AA's with the "Ford" script. What month is your truck?

I know of a late January AA truck which has the high rear window and no "Ford" script closed cab. So, both rear panel versions existed for some time. I know of one high rear window closed cab with a gas tank date of September and three with dates in August.

The pickup truck with a closed cab was not available until June 4, 1928 (per the Judging Standards). So some pickups probably had the high rear window version but not the "Ford" script version. The closed cab was modified with the addition of an extra rear body bolt mounting hole for the A frame. Closed cabs prior to June have only a rear body bolt hole for the AA frame.

The TT platform has "Ford Truck" on the rear cross member. The AA platform used the 26-27 rear cross member but with the two reinforcements (sill caps) moved outward for the tapered AA platform sills. The AA "Ford Truck" platform had three versions and lasted until mid 1928.

Version 1 had TT floor side rails with four stake pockets on each side. I have AA19871 (early February '28). It has this platform. This version does not have the center two cross members cut out for the rear fenders.

Version 2 had six stake pockets per side and also did not have the rear fender cut outs.

Version 3 has the six stake pockets per side and cut outs for rear fenders.

In mid '28, the rear cross member was changed from the three external stake pockets to four and the "Ford Truck" was eliminated. The platform body did not have "Ford" on it again until about 1934.

Almost all '28 and some early '29 AA's have the hand brake on the left. So, unlike the A, this is not much of an indicator as to the month of production.

If you have some pictures of your AA, I would like to see them. My e-mail is wilsmor@juno.com. I will have questions for you.
Regards, Neil Wilson