Sharing photos of a barn find 1930 AA

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Hogzilla
Body Type: AA
Model Year: 1930

Sharing photos of a barn find 1930 AA

Post by Hogzilla »

Hi all. First post here.... I literally joined since I started researching the truck in the photos for my frined. He has this 1930 Model AA truck in his barn he's contemplating selling, and he stopped by to ask me to help him determine it's worth and the best way to market it. So, in my travels around the internet looking for AA info, I stumbled onto this site.

Anyway, I have known the guy forever and when I was a kid I remember using this truck to haul stuff around on his farm. We used it to haul corn cobs on a few occasions I remember specifically from the late 70s and early 80s. It has been stored inside over it's life, when not working around the farm. He had always planned on restoring it, but has recently come to realize, that probably will never happen and he's thinking of selling it, so it doesn't just sit around for another 20-30 years before someone trys to save it.

It ran when last parked in that spot within the past 5 years or so I think. It’s a 1930 AA series Ford and he has a good clean title for it. The frame is excellent. The fenders have some dents, but no rust through. The rear lower cab needs some sheet metal repair, but for the most part the metal is solid and very nice.

After reading through lots of posts here, I thought if nothing else, most of you might enjoy seeing it in its barn-fresh present condition. This isn't really an attempt to market it just yet.... the guy has 3 grow daughters he plans to run the idea by first to prevent any hard feelings. I doubt any of them care too much about it.

Anyway, enjoy the photos. If you want to provide feedback on the worth of the truck, please feel free. I'm sure he won't give it away and he certainly doesn't need the money. If he eventually decides to part with it, I imagine he'd be more likely to do so if he knew it was going to a good home and wasn't going to get chopped up, parted out or hot rodded. That's why I wanted to share it here.

spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed
Model Year: 1931

Re: Sharing photos of a barn find 1930 AA

Post by spectria »

Welcome Hogzilla,

The pics are great!
Thanks for sharing them.

Could you post the VIN?

Thanks for helping to keep it from being a hotrod! That would be a crime!

It's nice to see a complete truck! It's worth allot if you leave the dust on!!!

Dave
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org
spectria

Post by spectria »

If you have any photos of the underside rear, please post or e-mail to me dzapps@comcast.net

I am trying to recreate my 1930 Stakebed, so any real pics would be fantastic...

Thanks
Jared275
Body Type: dUMP
Model Year: 1928

Post by Jared275 »

Hogzilla,
Where is the truck located? PM me your friend's contact information and if its close enough (I am in CT) we can try and make a deal. Glad to see one more AA will not be a hot rod.
Regards,
Jared
flatford39
Body Type: Express

Post by flatford39 »

This guy is bullshit guys. He doesn't give a shit if this thing gets restored or cut up. I saw this exact same truck on a hot rod site testing the waters so to say. Here's a link.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/show ... l+aa+truck

Sorry to do this but the truth matters to me. I have no problem with hot rods, I am building one right along side my restoration of my 28 AA Express truck. Just don't come here and deceive people.

Tom
spectria

Post by spectria »

flatford39 wrote:This guy is bullchit guys. He doesn't give a chit if this thing gets restored or cut up. I saw this exact same truck on a hot rod site testing the waters so to say. Here's a link.

Sorry to do this but the truth matters to me. I have no problem with hot rods, I am building one right along side my restoration of my 28 AA Express truck. Just don't come here and deceive people.

Tom
Easy Tom, I'm not sure the language is neccessary...
I checked his post at H.A.M.B. and I don't get that he doesn't care, it looks like he is trying to get it to someone who cares...

Beware AA'ers, the H.A.M.B. sites responses about AA's aren't very sensitive to us AA lovers...
:(
Last edited by spectria on November 19th, 2009, 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flatford39
Body Type: Express

Post by flatford39 »

spectria wrote:
flatford39 wrote:This guy is bullchit guys. He doesn't give a chit if this thing gets restored or cut up. I saw this exact same truck on a hot rod site testing the waters so to say. Here's a link.

Tom
Easy Tom, I'm not sure the language is neccessary...
I checked his post at H.A.M.B. and I don't get that he doesn't care, it looks like he is trying to get it to someone who cares... His post there was in December 2008...

Beware AA'ers, the H.A.M.B. sites responses about AA's aren't very sensitive to us AA lovers...
:(
He posted this on the hamb two days ago. I don't understand your December 2008 timeline. Did you do some kind of search and found it that far back??
spectria

Post by spectria »

He posted this on the hamb two days ago. I don't understand your December 2008 timeline. Did you do some kind of search and found it that far back??
I'm an idiot, sorry, got that wrong, but I still think he is trying to do the right thing...

Although... I did go back and forth with a guy who was searching out Craigslist postings of AA's and then reposting as his own... He wouldn't reveal who he was selling for, but said he could deliver anywhere...

Buyer Beware...
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A

Post by Chris Haynes »

He sez "Truck is located in eastern Iowa by the way."
Hogzilla

Post by Hogzilla »

I have no idea what flatford39 is PO'd about. I did post on HAMB as I have read that site for years and I respect their old school tyoe of rodding. Myself I am not a rodder and have never owned an A or AA. I really had no idea there was an AA following like this out there, and I'm glad my search lead me here. I'm just trying to help out a friend who has a nice old truck and not trying to screw or mislead anyone. Further, if you need contact info I'll give mine to anyone who wants via PM, and you can call me and verify I'm a real person with a real telephone. I will need to OK it with the owner before I unleash a bunch of tire kickers or spammers on him by giving out his contact info.

Yes the truck is located in Iowa just outside of Cedar Rapids.
spectria

Post by spectria »

Let it go, I am glad you found us, and keep at getting that beauty into the right hands...
Dave
Hogzilla

Post by Hogzilla »

spectria wrote:If you have any photos of the underside rear, please post or e-mail to me dzapps@comcast.net

I am trying to recreate my 1930 Stakebed, so any real pics would be fantastic...

Thanks
I'll try to get you some in a week or so when I chat with the owner again. Early next week I'm going to pass along to him any info I have found and ask him if he's ready to entertain potential buyers contacting him about the truck. Will try to got some photos then. He's an older guy ad doesn't use the internet much or maybe at all, so that's why he's come to me for help.

spectria wrote:Let it go, I am glad you found us, and keep at getting that beauty into the right hands...
Dave
Will do.
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

FYI - the grain, cargo body pictured is a non Ford sold unit. So it is not something to use as a guide if you are sticking to all Ford sold goodies. Attached is the Ford sold 88-A platform body (less floor boards).

By the way. I like the looks of the cargo body pictures. Many AA's were sold as cab and chassis and then fit with an after market cargo body.
Attachments
88-A Platform 1.jpg
88-A Platform 1.jpg (34.57 KiB) Viewed 6771 times
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by Drew Mashburn »

Neil:

You just posted the photo of the bed. The rear of the bed is dented. How does one go about removing dents (straightening) in a bed? It's much heavier metal than a fender. I have no metal working skills, obviously. Doe's one remove the dents from a bed just like doing a fender?

-- Drew
Drew Mashburn
russ
Body Type: 82a

Post by russ »

Drew, i know you didn't ask me but i'm chimming in anyhow. I had the same issue with a mangled rear piece on my bed. I removed all the pieces attached to it, removed the rivets attaching it to the rest of the bed, put it upside down on the concrete floor, and pounded the daylights outta it with a BFH. It is now very flat and needs only a light skimming of filler to look new again. As for the two down pieces which were mangled too, i pounded them straight on a square piece of steel and they need just a bit of filler to look new too.
Everybody likes pics.