AA truck coupling shaft help pls

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Matt from oz
Model Year: 1930

AA truck coupling shaft help pls

Post by Matt from oz »

Hi Guys
My name Is Matthew White and have an AA 28 truck with a timkin rear end, i am having difficulty with the coupling shaft,i would like a pic of a coupling shaft in place from underneath asap, please:) ( if anyone has one )
my casing when bolted to the gearbox and rear carrier seems to be on a slope back to the gearbox. The u-joint housing cap ( with the l shape hook on it ) at the gearbox end sits about 1.5 inches below the frame rail and in a photo Victor Pages book it should sit about 1/16th above frame rail, now i dont see how to raise this up but i think this is 99% of the trouble i have been having, thanks for your help in any way,shape or form.
Can e-mail me at jokstrap5@bigpond.com
Regards Matthew
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Re: AA truck coupling shaft help pls

Post by Neil Wilson »

Hello Matt,
I don't have a photo showing the coupling shaft installed. But, from your description, it sounds like the engine installation is the problem. The u-joint outer housing with the hooked top part should be slightly above the cross member flange. This is controlled by the engine mounts. You should post pictures of your front and rear engine mounting points. Either the front of the engine is too high or the rear is too low (or a combination).

For '28 the engine bolts directly to the front cross member (unless not original).
Regards, Neil Wilson
Downunder Rob

Post by Downunder Rob »

Australian trucks bolted to the front engine mount in all years unless this has been removed.
in the Australian factory they welded this mount back in.
I'm thinking the stock model a rear mounts have been used and not the AA ones which lift the motor up to a higher position in the Chassis.
Matt from oz

Post by Matt from oz »

Downunder Rob wrote:Australian trucks bolted to the front engine mount in all years unless this has been removed.
in the Australian factory they welded this mount back in.
I'm thinking the stock model a rear mounts have been used and not the AA ones which lift the motor up to a higher position in the Chassis.
Hi rob.
Mate i think you might be right in saying that the rear mounts are stock as i have a set for my phaeton restoration and they look one and the same,( from memory) I honestly didn't know they was any difference, i am going to double check right now, and if so gotta try to find a set, now that will be fun. the front engine mount on my truck is the same as the car, an a-6030a as in the snyders catalogue.

Cheers Matt.
Downunder Rob

Post by Downunder Rob »

Matt
let me know and i will ask at the Model A Clubs if you can't find them

Rob T
Matt from oz

Post by Matt from oz »

Hi Rob
Yes they are the same and if you know of anyone who has a spare set i would gladly work somthing out for them
Cheers from the left coast
matt