31 aa

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
29aaman
Model Year: 1930

31 aa

Post by 29aaman »

hi neil, over the weekend i picked up a short wheelbase 31 with the indented firewall, my question is the running boards they start off narrow in front at the fenders and get wide towards the rear,the diamond pattern stays the same but the smooth part gets wide they end at the back of the cab, the truck has no bed, was this the running boards used with a service truck type bed? thanks rich p,s, it has the spare tire on the left front fender mount.
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Post by Neil Wilson »

Hello 29aaman,
Short running boards and splash aprons were used on AA's without rear fenders. The short running boards end at the #2 frame running board bracket. The bracket welded to the bottom of the board extends up above the top of the board (i.e. forms an end cap). If your boards do not have this bracket, then the boards could have been long boards which were cut off. Send a picture to wilsmor@juno.com if you have any question about your boards.

The left front fender wheel carrier was used on several AA's with rear fenders. This carrier started production in early 1931.

The combination of short running boards and left front fender wheel carrier would be for:

Dump Trucks starting in 1931
199-A Ice Wagon
242-A Heavy Duty Express

Many dump bodies required the frame to be cut off. If the frame of your truck has been cut off, then this is an indicator that it was a dump truck originally.
Regards, Neil Wilson