twist off gas caps

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
29aaman
Model Year: 1930

twist off gas caps

Post by 29aaman »

hi neil my question this week is about the gas caps that are the same as a 30 31 type tank but found on 28 29 style gas tanks, from what month to what month did these get used and on the 1/2 tons compared to the 1 tons? i just picked up a oil tanker AA that the title says 29 but it has the fast release (or twist)gas cap and i have a 29 roaster pickup with the same type gas cap,also did any half ton truck cabs have ford written up high on the back of the cab? thanks rich p.s. i know i could call you on the phone and ask questions,but i figure this puts something into the forum for others to read and enjoy.
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Twist Gas Caps & Ford script cabs

Post by Neil Wilson »

Hello Rich,
Ford continued with the '29 commercial sheet metal until April 1930 for both the AA and A. The twist on gas cap started production during that time. My February 1930 AA still had the screw on cap. I thing that the twist on cap will more likely be found on the '29 style cabs produced in March and April. I don't know of any production figures for this change.

The A pickup with a closed cab did not start until June 4, 1928. It is highly unlikely that any closed cab pickup was produced with the Ford script cab.
Regards, Neil Wilson

Twist off caps

Post by Chris Haynes »

I just found an AA with FORD script on the back of the cab. The cab had all the cutouts inside for the left hand parking brake.But it had the brake lever ahead of the shifter. Gas tank was stamped October 1928. But that could have been changed.
manyolkars

gas tank/cowl

Post by manyolkars »

Can you clarify about when the 30/31 type cowl had the 29 type firewall? The two I have also have sheetmetal upper cowls where the gas tank would usually be removable. In other words, the cowl appears complete but the gas tank is gone and must have mounted under the upper part of the cowl. These cowls are one piece (both sides and what would be the top of the gas tank)
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

Hello manyolkars,
There are two closed cabs models. The 82-A was used through April 1930. The cowl and gas tank have the same look for this production period (i.e. the coupe pillar or hinge piller is separate from the cowl and gas tank. The gas tank assembly includes the upper fire wall.

The 82-B was used starting in May 1930. The cowl covered the coupe pillar giving a more stream line look. The fire wall is one piece attached to the cowl assembly. The gas tank is mounted under the upper part of the cowl as you indicate.
Regards, Neil Wilson