New guy needs a GOOD AA truck book

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
co1859
Model Year: 1930

New guy needs a GOOD AA truck book

Post by co1859 »

Looking for a GOOD Ford AA truck book packed with information, lots of pictures, specs and models. I am currently working on a getting past my Ford AA Truck learning curve before a purchase.
Ive done a Few frame up restos on FJ40 toyota Landcruisers and will be switching to Ford AA Trucks.

Any Reprinted factory Manuals out there?
Ford factory options?
Are the restore guide books I see on line, any good?
Who has the best part supply?

Looking to learn all I can. before spring 2010

Ron
rollingsculpture
Body Type: platform
Model Year: 1931

Re: New guy needs a GOOD AA truck book

Post by rollingsculpture »

Welcome aboard CO1859 the question of books have come up a few times ,you may want to do a search on this site for 'Books' yscan through the threads and you will find several postings. let us know when you get ready to wrangle a truck into the driveway
SHELBY MESSER
Body Type: 75-A

Post by SHELBY MESSER »

Ron, Mac's Anti. Auto has a book, Model A & AA Ford truck Owners, 288 pg. 500 ills. Lots of info. Was $25.50. Shelby, Louisiana.
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A

Post by Chris Haynes »

SHELBY MESSER wrote:Ron, Mac's Anti. Auto has a book, Model A & AA Ford truck Owners, 288 pg. 500 ills. Lots of info. Was $25.50. Shelby, Louisiana.
Most of that book is copies of ads for period aftermarket parts for A's and AA's. Lots of wonderful stuff in there. But not much help with restoration information.
Roy Williams
Body Type: Express
Model Year: 1929

Post by Roy Williams »

Here's a few books I've found.

Model A/AA Truck Owner by A.G.McMillan. Good pictures of body types and accesories.
Model A Ford Mechanics Handbook by Les Andrews. Good technical manual for the engine and other common areas of the A family.
Ford Trucks since 1905 by James K. Wagner. Not just AA but a great book! Ford Trucks from the beginning until the 1970's. 8)
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A

Post by Chris Haynes »

The Commercial Fords by Lorin Sorensen has a lot of great photos. Out of print and expensive but a great resource. Once ya see it you will want the complete set of his Fordiana books.

http://www.allbookstores.com/search?q=l ... ge=&limit=

http://www.alibris.com/booksearch?bindi ... 23&hs.y=20

http://www.bookfinder.com/search/?keywo ... &submit=Go
co1859

Post by co1859 »

WoW thanks for all your help guys.

*Rolling sculptur - Thanks I see that books have come up a lot on the site.
*Shelby - That book sounds very useful I enjoy looking at old ads and info. It really helps to know what rusted parts I could find out there. Thanks shelby
* Chris - Boy you aint kindin Lot of $$$$. Gives me something to look for when Antique hunting with the wife - maybe I can find some cheaper Thanks
* Roy - I saw that last night on a web site. It cought my attention. Thanks

I have found there is no shortage of info. I just found a Model A restorers club with lot of books. I think I am going to have a lot of fun with a AA truck. :D

I am also in the process of finding old tools and equipment to work on the AA Truck. I saw a picture of a spring perch being re-rivited to the frame. what tool do you use to do that? has anyone done that? Looks really cool to make the rivit look factory..
Drew Mashburn

Post by Drew Mashburn »

Ron:

A few years ago, a Jim Schild authored two restoration manuals. The first was titled, "Restorer's Model A Shop Manual -- Complete & Illustrated" (MBI Publishing Company). You might be able to obtain it through Classic Motorbooks, 729 Prospect Avenue, P.O. Box 1, Osceloa, Wi. 54020-0001; 1-800-826-6600; www.motorbooks.com. Mine has a price on it of $26.95. Much of the info in this manual is useful when restoring AA's. Schild's second manual was titled, "AA Truck -- Supplement to Restorer's Model A Shop Manual" (The Auto Review, P.O. Box 510, Florissant, Mo. 63032). Mine has a price on it of $12.95. There are a great number of photos and illustrations in the second that should be of quite an assistance to an AA restorer. There are photos of several complete trucks of different body styles too. Let us know what kind of AA(s) you wind up getting.

Good Luck!
-- Drew
Drew Mashburn
E.Moore

Post by E.Moore »

I replaced the rear spring brackets on my AA with rivets and they look like they were installed at the factory. Clean the frame and the new part. Make sure the holes on the new part align with the frame holes. Clamp the new piece tight to the frame. The new rivets are heated red hot with an acetylene torch and installed, held with a bucking bar and peened with a rivet head shaping tool that fits into the end of an air powered chisel. The chisel end is replaced with the peening end in the air tool.

Most all the rivets can be replaced without help, but some require asstance to hold the bucking bar to prevent the rivet from backing out.

The rivets can be found at big flats rivet (www.bigflatsrivet.com)

They also have some of the peening tools that go into the air tool, as well as bucking tools and other helpful information.

It is very pleasureable to learn how to do this.
co1859

Post by co1859 »

Drew just found them. Thanks

*EMoore - Cool web site thanks, I will learn to do this.
Ron
Bladehorse
Body Type: 185-A

Post by Bladehorse »

Ill add that the 'Model A Service Bulletins Complete' is a MANDATORY Addition to the rest of the aformentioned items.
A lot of AA truck info in there too (It does take a long while to find tho) ISBN # 911160-28-0
Shorthaul
Body Type: 186 stake

Post by Shorthaul »

If your new to this forum like I am, just start reading through the archives. You will be amazed at the information.
modelatruck

Post by modelatruck »

Welcome CO1859, I'm a newbie on this forum also and wanting to buy an AA truck.
The first thing I did was get out my Snyders catalog and order the AA truck owners guide and the AA supplement to the model A shop manual. Both contain a lot of original photos and info.. All in all, I think the advice from Shorthaul is the best, just go back and spend a few evenings reading thru the forum archives and you get a great perspective from some knowledgeable people. I did and almost feel like a 50mi expert. Ha!
Jared275
Body Type: dUMP
Model Year: 1928

Post by Jared275 »

modelatruck,
Where are you located? I will have a 1930-31 complete chassis minus sheet metal (rusted out but yours if you want it) in a few weeks forsale. I am buying the truck for its stake bed, stakes and spair tire holder. I'm looking to get $750 for it. The truck is located in NY and I will be hauling it to CT.
Regards,
Jared