Early 30 Express Bed

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Bradshaw
Body Type: 82A Cab 89A Express
Model Year: 1929

Early 30 Express Bed

Post by Bradshaw »

Howdy fellow AA'ers,

I'm working to replace rusted out areas on the 89-A Express box.

I've looked in the April 1996 AA Newsletter to refer to the drawings but the diagram on page 7 shows the driver's side and not the passenger side of the truck.

What I've got is a slight difference in the front stake pockets. The drivers side has rivets only along the seam with the body side panel and front panel with spot welds on the other side of the pocket(toward the rear of the truck).

The passenger side pocket has the rivets in the same place, but there are holes exactly opposite the rivets along the opposite side of the pocket.

I need to know if these "extra holes" appear on other AA Express Beds out there?

I suppose someone else could have made a repair sometime over the past 74 years and used the driver's side pocket on the passenger side withouth filling the holes.

Any help is greatly aprecciated. Anyone got any photos so share, please e-mail me at ExpressAA30@hotmail.com

Thanks,
Bradshaw
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Post by Neil Wilson »

Chris,
I checked my early '30 AA express body. The right front pocket has the extra, unused rivet holes on the rear side of the pocket. The left front pocket does not have these rivet holes.

I check my other three express bodies. They all have front pockets with rivets on the front side and not rivet holes on the back side. These other three bodies are '28.

It could be that the manufacture ran short of right hand front stake pockets and used left hand pockets by punching an extra set of holes. I don't think of any other reason for this situation.

Also, my early '30 express has a center tail gate hinge which is the same as the two outside hinges. On the other three bodies, the center hinge extends to the top flange of the tail gate where it mushrooms under the flange. There are two rivets through the top of the tail gate and the mushroomed portion of the center hinge. There is a hole through the center, top of the tail gate which is also through the mushroomed portion of the center hinge. This is the same as most TT tail gages. The hole was for a rod used with the screen sides (only offered with the TT).

I can take pictures of different parts for you. Just e-mail me which parts you want pictures of at wilsmor@juno.com
Regards, Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82A Cab 89A Express
Model Year: 1929

Express Pockets

Post by Bradshaw »

Neil,

Thanks for looking at your Express Beds. I removed that pocket with the extra rivet holes and there were spot welds along the front seam in addition to the rivets(just like the other front pocket).

I have some replacement pockets to use after cutting and replacing the rusted out area behind and around the pockets.

Would you drill the extra holes to put the truck back like it was or only drill the rivet holes on the front side where they will be used??

I'd like to drill the extra holes. I think its good to preserve the "waste nothing" mentality of the manufacturer. But, I don't want to do something thats going to detract from the truck.

My tailgate also has 3 hinges that are alike.

If its not too much trouble shoot me an email with a photo of the extra rivet holes on your Express Box.

Thanks for the information,
Bradshaw
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Post by Neil Wilson »

Chris,
I sent you pictures via banjoman1@mindspring.com but the e-mail was not deliverable. E-mail me at wilsmor@juno.com and I will resend the pictures.

Since both your and my 1930 express have the extra rivet holes in the right pocket, I would drill the holes in your replacement pocket just to preserve originally. In my opinion, this should not detract form the truck.
Regards, Neil Wilson