29 AA flat bed wood

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
njcar757
Body Type: closed cab
Model Year: 1929

29 AA flat bed wood

Post by njcar757 »

Did the wood on a 29 AA flat bed measure 1 1/4" thick and 7" wide? It looks like there was 9 boards and there was 8 metal strips? Were there any metal strips used on the two outside boards closest to the side pockets or did they use only carriage bolts? Was the wood rough sawn or was it planed on one side? Was the wood stained, varnished or treated in any way?
thanks nick
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Re: 29 AA flat bed wood

Post by Neil Wilson »

Hello Nick,
The ’28 through February 1931 platform is body model number 88-A. The wood floor boards are 1-1/4” thick (i.e. 5/4”) and smooth on both sides (like they have been run through a planner but not sanded). They are 7-1/4” wide. Basically, the boards should have a 5/16” gap between boards for the skid strip carriage bolts.

The boards are grooved for the legs of skid strips to fit into so the skid strip trough is flat against the wood. Most original platforms that I have seen have groves on both sides of the boards. I am not sure why since the bottom groves serve no purpose.

There are no skid strips for the outside edge of the side boards and the carriage bolts go through the boards. There should be a gap between the outside edges of these boards and the metal side rails (allows water to run out).

Originally, Ford painted the complete assembled platform (including the bottom) the same color as the cab. Most AA’ers paint parts separately to insure everything is covered and then touch up the nuts after assembly. At least that is what I did. Many AA’ers, finish the wood with a stain and sealer. I guess after spending so many $’s on the wood, they want to show it off. And some use zinc plated hardware and don’t paint the hardware. Not original, but you can do what you want since it is your project. I must have all of my hardware original (just me)!

I have found two platforms with Maple floor boards and sill boards (both early 1928’s). All others that I have seen have yellow pine. I used construction fir 2 x 8’s (maybe it was 2 x 10’s) which I hand selected from a local lumber yard to get enough that were almost knot free (much cheaper that way). These were then machined to the correct size.
The boards are notched on the top rear edge to fit under the flange of the rear cross member. The outside boards are notched on the bottom outside edge so that they have a gap for water to run out of. These boards are also notched to clear the angle brackets at each corner.
Regards, Neil Wilson
Body Type: 186 stake
Model Year: 1931

Post by Shorthaul »

Nick,

I'm basically secondly everything Neil said in his post although I measured my bed boards and thought they were 7 1/2" wide measuring the underside. I may be wrong about that so I will double check tomorrow. My truck is a 31 157 WB. The slots Neil referred to are on both sides of the board on mine and they are approx 1/8 wide X 3/16 deep. They are 1/2" from each side of the 10 boards except for the outside edges. 9 skid rails
Neil Wilson

Post by Neil Wilson »

Note that a '31 AA157 has a DIFFERENT platform (body model number 185-B). And the skid strips are also NOT the same as the 88-A. The drawing below is a cross section of a board from my 185-B. Note that the edges of the boards are cut down where the skid strip rests. The end result is that the skid strip is lower than the 88-A platform skid strips. The 88-A floor boards are NOT CUT DOWN.

All platforms should have floor boards which have a 5/16" space between boards for the skid strip carriage bolts. So, you can measure the platform bolt hole distance (center to center) and then subtract 5/16". I came up with 7-1/4" for both the 88-A and the 185-B platforms. Measuring old wood could be a problem depending on the amount of water in the boards.
Last edited by Neil Wilson on January 29th, 2010, 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by Shorthaul »

Neil'

I 'm not trying to argue as I do respect your knowledge and I probably shouldn't have chimed in on this post as I was thinking all the platforms were the same width and I suppose the platform the original post was about is 68" wide (my bad)

But here is what I get when I measure my bed. 185 B stake 42" high. model #186B
Inside of the platform frame measures 76" wood is flat on both sides with a 1/8 x 3/16 square slot 5/8" from edge of the plank which is 7 1/2" wide.

Skid rails are 1.5/8 wide

I know you are thinking my measuring tools and ability are off. I agree the wood may have expanded and it has I'm sure as there is only about a 1/8 between planks and you add it all up and it comes to 76" They made these at different places and there must be difference.

One question I have is, your sketch looks like the dimension from the edge of the board is 7/16 to the slot. How wide are your skid rails, as I noted mine are I.625.

Terry
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed

Post by spectria »

WOW, I'm confused...
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org
Neil Wilson

Post by Neil Wilson »

Nick,
As you know, your original question regarding the '29 platform wood (88-A platform) has drifted to a different subject ('31 platform wood). If you have additional questions regarding your 88-A wood, please post a message on this thread.

Terry,
Regarding the 185-B LWB and 187-A SWB '31 platforms - below is a drawing showing more detail of the floor boards and skid strips. Note that the two outside boards are 7-7/16" wide and that there is a 5/16" gap between boards to allow the skid strip carriage bolts to run between the boards. There is a slight gap between the outside boards and the floor metal sides (allows water to drain).

The drawing shows a cross section of skid strips for the 88-A/89-A and the later 185-A, 185-B, 187-A platforms. I came up with 1-11/16 for the later skid strip width.

The distance between skid strip bolt holes in the body cross sills controls the width of the boards. The boards must rest on the body cross sills without covering the bolt holes so that the skid strip bolts can be inserted between boards. This applies to the all of the platform (1928-1931). Most old original wood that I have seen end up with slightly wider boards due to years of expansion. This results in the boards pushing into the skid strip bolts.
Attachments
x185-B Floor Detail 3.jpg
x185-B Floor Detail 3.jpg (68.75 KiB) Viewed 5743 times
Regards, Neil Wilson
Neil Wilson

Post by Neil Wilson »

Terry,
I went back and looked at the first board cross section drawing I posted above for the 185-B and find that it is incorrect. Sorry, that must have been confusing! I have deleted that drawing from my computer files.

FYI, the inside measurement between the 185-B side sills is 76" (same as your measurement).
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by Shorthaul »

Neil
Thanks for the great floor detail attachment and your patience for looking into this subject.

Sorry for jumping off the original 29 subject.
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed

Post by spectria »

spectria wrote:WOW, I'm confused...
Thanks again Neil, all better now...
Dave
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org
fordman88
Model Year: 1929

Post by fordman88 »

i learn a ton of info every time im on here!!! quik question tho, where would i go about buying a set of 1929 131-wb skid strips? im kinda doing my rebiuld backwards and am bout to redo the bed next. thanks yall
Trevor O Davis
SHELBY MESSER
Body Type: 75-A

Post by SHELBY MESSER »