frame

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Shorthaul
Body Type: 186 stake
Model Year: 1931

frame

Post by Shorthaul »

I brought this up before about my 157 wb frame being out of square. Im hoping someone on the site has a bare frame that they can check sqareness using the 9/16 holes that are on the top of each rail. Just measure across the frame from one side to the other in a x pattern using holes that are some distance apart. mine measures 1/2" different (1/4" out of square) I think that is what throws the rear axel assy off by an inch measuring from the wheel to the frame.
I know Scott 1009's frame must still be bare.

Thanks, Terry
scl009

Re: frame

Post by scl009 »

Are you referring to me?

LATER: (ha sorry I'm dense, I was wondering where the 1009 was coming from, my name is Scott Christopher Laura

And Louisiana Tech University Labeled me as 009

SCL009

Mine is a 1931 157 inch, I can measure it for you but you may have to be more descriptive about the holes that you want measured as I think I may have a few extra by looking at it. (an illustration would be nice even if drawn up on a napkin)

Also After staring at this thing for months, I don't think mine is square either. I tried measuring an x from the front crossbeam to the middle and middle to the rear (two x's instead of one because the middle crossbeam was getting in the way) and it seems to be somewhat off, but it was definetly more like a quick eyeball with a tapemeasure in hand.

Scott
SHELBY MESSER
Body Type: 75-A
Model Year: 1930

Post by SHELBY MESSER »

Shorthaul, If spring leafs are not lined up the axle will move. My axle had moved to the left 1" also. This must be common for the AA's. I corrected mine by using a chain and binder to pull axle back to center. Then I took a large hammer and lined the springs where they were back in line,(you maybe able to see a twist in both spring assemblies). After hammering springs back in line remove binder and chain. Axle should stay centered. This is not a fix, just to get you lined back up! The bushing at center of spring may have wear to cause part of this. The U-bolts fasting the spring to the clip(bracket) may also loose!!!!! Hope this helps! Shelby, Louisiana.
Bladehorse
Body Type: 185-A

Post by Bladehorse »

Ill have to go measure as mine is sitting on top of the old garbage cart (Now AA frame restoration stand ) It will be a fiew days, as I need to head to dads house to do emergency roof repairs later today.
Shorthaul

Post by Shorthaul »

Scott,
Thanks for the reply. Maybe I'll just go with Double O from now on.

If you look down at the top of the frame you will notice about 7- 9/16 holes that are in the same location on each rail. just choose any two on one side and measure across the two on the other side in an x and if it measures the same one way as the other, the frame is square. It's the same as measuring from one corner to the other as the holes are the same distance from the ends. I think they must have been used for tool location points when the frames were made.

Shelby,
Thanks, we have discussed this before and I appreciate all your info and input. Like you I noticed the rear axle off to one side and now after removing everything from the frame I've been able to measure things better.
Measuring from one front corner to a opposite spring perch, the 9/16" holes I refer to with Scott, or any fixed points, I get the same results. Also checking the cross member where the drive shafts attach ( the frame rails are parallel in that area) the cross member is out of square and since the drive shaft outer housing bolts up to that member, it throws the rear end over to one side.
Also the spring perches are not exactly across from each other causing the mounting collars to rotate, one side forward and the other rotate backwards.

I'm curios to see Bladehorse's Measurements and I've always wondered about the AA that Neil Wilson took completely apart.
Anyhow, maybe none of this matters, but I thank you all for chiming in.
Mike in Maine
Body Type: 82B

Post by Mike in Maine »

Shorthaul, Just noticed your post and thought I would put my 2 cents in. You may already be aware of this and it may not be the issue but here goes anyway. I know on the 131" AA's the springs were longer from center to the rear than from center to the front by about 3/4" to 1". The lube ports should be facing the rear. If one is facing front it is installed wrong and would throw your axle out of line. Depending on application the 157" used the same spring. You may have already got this info but I thought it would be worth mentioning. Good luck.
Mike in Maine
Jared275
Body Type: dUMP
Model Year: 1928

Post by Jared275 »

Heres a thought, you could also take two yard sticks (or straight edges) and line one up with a set of adjacent holes on opposite rails on the front and then the other on the back. Then measure between the two yard sticks to get an idea of parrellism between the two. This would give you an idea whether the rails are bent.
Shorthaul

Post by Shorthaul »

Mike,
Yeah, mine is assembled correctly. Thanks for the input.

Jared,
My frame rail's aren't bent, one rail has shifted back of the other and so for lack of a better word, they are out of "parallelaplumb"
so looking at my sketch( best I can do here) This post will not let me offset the rails so this drawing is square. If you measure across the holes, left top to bottom right and then the opposite way, it will give you the out of square measurement.

l----------O------------------------------O-------------l

l----------O------------------------------O-------------l
scl009

Post by scl009 »

Acutually turned out much better than I had suspected.
I would like to try and figure out a more precise way to measure though.

Here you go Terry....

Front passenger to rear driver - 117 inches
FR driver to rear passenger - 117 3/16 inches

Goint to try and post a picture of where I measured, you might want to know that it is from the edge of the holes and not the centers
Attachments
alignment_paint.jpg
alignment_paint.jpg (76.25 KiB) Viewed 6818 times
scl009

Post by scl009 »

If anyone else would like to get some measurments, this would probably be a good time.

Scott
Drew Mashburn

Post by Drew Mashburn »

Terry:

The reason Henry assembled the A's and AA's with rivets, instead of welding all the joints together, is so the frames will flex. I suppose it's possible that this flexing would allow one of the frame rails to be pushed further back, or forward than the opposite frame rail. Can you tell from looking at the front frame horns, or the rear of the rails, if both are the same? If they are the same, then it's possible the holes you're measuring aren't exactly the same in both of the frame rails.

-- Drew
Drew Mashburn
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr

Post by Bob C »

Terry, I measured my frame and it came out the same as Scotts 117 and 117 3/16.

Bob
Shorthaul

Post by Shorthaul »

Scott, Bob,

Much thanks, It appears both of your frames are aligned good, as 3/16" difference is actually only 3/32 (.093) out of square and I doubt if they were ever any closer. I've measured Mine from every point possible and the way you did it is the best way for checking the frame. Mine measures 1/2" different and so I guess I'M going to have to do some tweaking.

Nice picture Scott, I can't seem to get my photo's small enough, what's your secret......... While you are in the measuring mood, how about measuring between the frame rails and the brake backing plate on both sides and see if their is any difference. Your's should be real close.

Thanks, Terry
Last edited by Shorthaul on February 9th, 2010, 6:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Shorthaul

Post by Shorthaul »

Drew,

I'M sure the holes are the same on both rails. I think they assembled these frame upside down and they are tooling holes. Not sure about that, just what I think. :?
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr

Post by Bob C »

I checked the hole locations before I took the measurements and they were in
the same location on both rails.

Bob