AA Or TT

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
miner art
Body Type: AA flt.BD.82a
Model Year: 1929

AA Or TT

Post by miner art »

hey guy's,I think my '29 AA came with a TT bed,but I don't know,It measures 5'.5"BY 8'.3",has the ford script on the back,I wonder if it is in fact a TT any one ever mount one on a '29 AA????
Thank ya kindly,ART
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Re: AA Or TT

Post by Neil Wilson »

Neither the TT or AA express body has Ford on the tail gate. Pictures are worth a 1,000 words.
Regards, Neil Wilson
Neil Wilson

Post by Neil Wilson »

Both the TT and early AA platforms have "Ford Truck" on the rear cross member (not just Ford). The AA platform is 73-1/4” wide x 99-3/32” long. The second design TT platform is the same size. The first design TT platform is about 7-8" less in width.
Regards, Neil Wilson
miner art

Post by miner art »

Neil,Thank you,that makes the one I have an early TT being 65" wide As for the ford script what I meant was" FORD TRUCK."I guess IT looks as tho It will work .If not correct,They are hard to find in decent shape tho!!
Thank's again,as alway's ART
Neil Wilson

Post by Neil Wilson »

If you are planning on a restoration of the platform (fairly expensive), then it would be worth the effort to find the correct platform for your '29 AA and restore it. This is the design #3 88-A and was used from mid 1228 through 2-31. It has four external stake pockets on the rear cross member (rather than three) and no "Ford Truck".

To spend the $'s restoring a TT platform for an AA truck seems the wrong way to go to me. The TT platform can be sold once an AA platform is found. The TT platform sills are parallel and will not rest on the chassis frame. So, you will not be able to use the stock mounting hardware.

Attached is a picture showing the rear of the four pocket 88-A. I don't think that the spare tire will fit between the the TT sills.

If you are not restoring the platform, then nothing is lost to figure out how to mount it on the AA chassis. You will likely need to add a chassis frame cross member at the rear for the platform sills to rest on.
Attachments
x29 Stake 52585 01-28-1929.jpg
x29 Stake 52585 01-28-1929.jpg (81.71 KiB) Viewed 4164 times
Regards, Neil Wilson
miner art

Post by miner art »

I guess I can look around a bit, saw the whole truck a a auction a time ago,think it went for 2or3 hund.but it was one of those you could see Thru! parts I guess.looking at the bed frame the bed is parallel, the frame appears tapered!
thank you, ART
Bladehorse
Body Type: 185-A

Post by Bladehorse »

I sort of have the same issue. My platform has 'Ford'embossed in script in the middle of the back. Nothing else. it has the 4 pockets(I believe) Have to look again to be sure. The platform brackets are tapered, However not enough to match the frame rails. There IS another set of punched holes in the platform that appear to possibly match up to the frame rails if moved over. I have I believe a 4-5 / '31 frame 151" WB. Perhaps this bed matches a 130" wb? Pictures to come some year :p
Hayslip

Post by Hayslip »

When determining if a Ford flatbed is a TT or AA look at the middle of the rear crossmember below the middle stake pocket to see if there are rivets or evidence where rivets were to attach a spare tire bracket. The TT never had a spare tire under the bed. The TT bed is smooth in this area.
Hayslip
miner art

Post by miner art »

Hay Slip,I just looked at my flatbed,Well no rivetholes , and it appears the spare would not fit given the with between rails. must be a TT . Thank you:.,,,,,,,,
The miner.,gonna take a break from all that hard nut and bolt thing,go fishin at the ocean!!!