aux tranny

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
fordman88
Model Year: 1929

aux tranny

Post by fordman88 »

the 29 i just got had the second tranny installed on it (underdrive). i got it all apart and all was looking great till the last piece came out. the big roller bearing between the PTO drive gear and the under drive gear assembly, the outer race is broke. it broke where the anged split is in the race, have the piece and its bout the size and shape of a guitar pick. anybody have any ideas to replace or repair this? its the ONLY thing wrong with it.
Trevor O Davis
Bladehorse
Body Type: 185-A
Model Year: 1930

Re: aux tranny

Post by Bladehorse »

Is the race removable? one can always change out the entire bearing/race. If the case is broken it can be brazed up and re machined, or left alone if it is not that big a hole in the support (I assume this is not going to be used for hauling around 2 tons with overloads :)
Jared275
Body Type: dUMP
Model Year: 1928

Post by Jared275 »

fordman,
see ebay there is a listing for a dual low starting at $9.99, using this for parts would most likely be the cheapest and easiest fix.
Regards,
Jared
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A
Model Year: 1930

Post by Chris Haynes »

Jared275 wrote:fordman,
see ebay there is a listing for a dual low starting at $9.99, using this for parts would most likely be the cheapest and easiest fix.
Regards,
Jared
Perhaps you could post the link or at least the item number???
BTW It is a Dual High, not Dual low.
Jared275
Body Type: dUMP
Model Year: 1928

Post by Jared275 »

could but I didn't, and thanks for the correction
fordman88

Post by fordman88 »

thanks yall! it just the sleeve style race that the main roller bearing rides on. the rest of the guts are in great shape, including the bearings. the seals are rough but i can make my own of those.

are you sure its connsitered a dual high? mine reduces the driveshaft speed by about %25... i can walk faster than it can in low first gear, hahaha but could probably pull a house also!
Trevor O Davis
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed
Model Year: 1931

Post by spectria »

fordman88 wrote:thanks yall! it just the sleeve style race that the main roller bearing rides on. the rest of the guts are in great shape, including the bearings. the seals are rough but i can make my own of those.

are you sure its connsitered a dual high? mine reduces the driveshaft speed by about %25... i can walk faster than it can in low first gear, hahaha but could probably pull a house also!
The sleeve should have a number on it, you can check with a bearing house for a replacement.
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org
spectria

Post by spectria »

Jared275 wrote:could but I didn't, and thanks for the correction
Hey Jared, would you please post or e-mail me the e-bay listing #, as I need one of these transmissions and I can't find the listing.

Thank You,

Dave
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr

Post by Bob C »

The Ebay number for the trans is 180468116620. or just search for Ford Model AA.
Brian T

Post by Brian T »

Hello Fordman88,
Here is a picture of the internals of the Dual high , this will ID the parts you need (maybe AA-4899-R ?) , check with Bud Valerius he may have it, the seals and gaskets you can get from the vendors.
Attachments
DUAL- HIGH.jpg
DUAL- HIGH.jpg (88.79 KiB) Viewed 6608 times
Nothing can be made fool proof, fools are ingenious bastards.
spectria

Post by spectria »

Bob C wrote:The Ebay number for the trans is 180468116620. or just search for Ford Model AA.
Thank you Bob C,

I did search before for Ford Model A, and AA, and Ford Trans, and Ford model A trans, transmission, High Low, Dual High, aux trans, all of those plus more and I got Nada!
Last edited by spectria on February 20th, 2010, 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
miner art
Body Type: AA flt.BD.82a

Post by miner art »

Brian T wrote:Hello Fordman88,
Here is a picture of the internals of the Dual high , this will ID the parts you need (maybe AA-4899-R ?) , check with Bud Valerius he may have it, the seals and gaskets you can get from the vendors.
Hey, Brian were did you get those pictures,or is that a secret!!

thank's ART
Brian T

Post by Brian T »

Art, No secrets here,
The pics are from the Ford parts price list , (Snyders have it $8,25,) it is 1 book that I have purchased that has been of real value when sharing or asking for help , along with the Ford service bulletins, Les Andrews Vol 1 handbook , and Steve Pargeters Zenith Carb book , (just got done with flow testing my carb) interesting project .
If that’s your truck in your Avatar , hows about posting a full size pic ?.

Dave,
I don’t believe the Dual-High will fit your 31 , if I remember you have some kind of odd ball addition at the back of your 4 speed , I think you just need the jack shaft and tube to connect up , however if you need a Dual-High maybe the one I saw last year is still in Bakersfield , a bit closer than North Dakota .
Nothing can be made fool proof, fools are ingenious bastards.
spectria

Post by spectria »

Brian T wrote:Art, No secrets here,
The pics are from the Ford parts price list , (Snyders have it $8,25,) it is 1 book that I have purchased that has been of real value when sharing or asking for help , along with the Ford service bulletins, Les Andrews Vol 1 handbook , and Steve Pargeters Zenith Carb book , (just got done with flow testing my carb) interesting project .

Dave,
I don’t believe the Dual-High will fit your 31 , if I remember you have some kind of odd ball addition at the back of your 4 speed , I think you just need the jack shaft and tube to connect up , however if you need a Dual-High maybe the one I saw last year is still in Bakersfield , a bit closer than North Dakota .
Well Brian, I hope it fits cause I own it now! I am getting rid of all the junk you saw in my pics, and I plan to put the Dual High in place of the jack shaft you mentioned.

If it doesn't fit, I'll let people here know ASAP.
miner art
Body Type: AA flt.BD.82a

Post by miner art »

Brian T wrote:Art, No secrets here,
Thank's brian!, Ask and ye' shall receive ,a buddy gave me a part's book I think it is the same one you mentioned,appear's to be original,say's' 1928-1932 effective dec.20 1932? CHEEEP price's!!!!! As for the avitar photo yep,that be the old girl of mine "one of several old gal's" i'll try to Post a larger photo.
ART In sunny oregon :lol:

Dave,