Dual Drive - Value??

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
guy
Model Year: 1930

Dual Drive - Value??

Post by guy »

Hi, I have a chance to buy a Dual drive, from an older gentlemen in our town, He is the local Model A and T guru. He went through it and said it is ready to install. I dont dought his honesty. But he wants me to make him an offer? I have not a clue what its worth. Any ideas??
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

Guy,
Are you refering to the Ford sold dual high transmission with the rocker type shift pedal on the floor?

If yes, then this is an under drive and direct drive transmission. There were three different versions. If you send a couple of pictures, I can tell you which version it is (wilsmor@juno.com). It was used on the '28/'29 AA's with the three speed transmission.

The transmission is worth around $75.00 in my opinion. I have seen them advertised for much more. The work involved in taking it apart, checking it out and putting it back together is worth something on top of that (probably 5 hours in time). Does it have the oil filler tube which goes through the cab floor pan and the dip stick? These parts are hard to find. The shift pedal and linkage should be worth another $25 (again, in my opinion).
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by Guest »

Neil, yes it is the Ford dual high, it has the oil tube, dip stick and pedal, no linkage arm. We are restoring a 1930 AA fire truck. It has the 4 speed. I see by other posts, that there is no advantage in using this in our truck, was looking for a little more road speed. Found some info on this unit, now I understand its purpose. Thanks
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

If you do not currently have the high speed rear axle gears (5.14:1), this would be the first to upgrade for more speed. The second upgrade would be an overdrive.

Warford manufactured a three speed transmission (under, direct, and over drive). Most Warford found today are for the '28/'29 AA with a three speed transmission. If you find a Warford, it will most likely be for connection to a three speed. There are parts available which allow one of these transmissions to be connected to a four speed.

If you are lucky enough to find a Warford designed to connect to the four speed in a 131-1/2" wheel base, that would be great. I have never seen one of these transmissions.
Regards, Neil Wilson

Warford

Post by gclark »

Niel Wilson
I have one of those Warford three speeds that I believe is for the 28-29. You say parts are available to put it on a four speed. Where?