30-31 spare tire carrier

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
rollingsculpture
Body Type: platform
Model Year: 1931

30-31 spare tire carrier

Post by rollingsculpture »

an inquiry if anyone has photos of the tire carrier as it is mounted for the platform bed i need to be able to see the latching mechanism and its attachment to the platform . i have just bought the carrier itself and need to find the bolt portion that attaches since the carrier i am getting does not have it included . this is the bolt that is attached by rivets to the center of the bed . photo below from Neil Wilson is the carrier and bolt removed from truck. ive also included the only 2 pics i can find in my collection of pics from a truck on ebay last year , its not totally clear so i would like to see a better detail if anyone has it thanks in advance
Attachments
file-1.jpg
file-1.jpg (30.97 KiB) Viewed 6154 times
!BWdS-dQ!2k~$(KGrHgoH-DoEjlLluCsSBK(huhUg9!~~_12.JPG
!BWdS-dQ!2k~$(KGrHgoH-DoEjlLluCsSBK(huhUg9!~~_12.JPG (41.58 KiB) Viewed 6154 times
!BWdS7tQ!Wk~$(KGrHgoOKjUEjlLmUhVfBK(huZfs0w~~_12.JPG
!BWdS7tQ!Wk~$(KGrHgoOKjUEjlLmUhVfBK(huZfs0w~~_12.JPG (43.67 KiB) Viewed 6154 times
rollingsculpture

Re: 30-31 spare tire carrier

drawings as supplied by Neil Wilson
Attachments
file.jpg
file.jpg (60.6 KiB) Viewed 6153 times
file-7.jpg
file-7.jpg (73.77 KiB) Viewed 6153 times
Jared275
Body Type: dUMP
Model Year: 1928

Post by Jared275 »

rollingsculpture,
Here are some pics of a 30-31 carrier bolt setup.

rollingsculpture

Jared that is so great i appreciate that a lot , its a rare thing to see on our trucks so i feel really glad to be able to find one and see it in operation !
Shorthaul
Body Type: 186 stake

Post by Shorthaul »

Rolling S,
That carrier you show in the top picture is a side to side mounted carrier unlike the drawing's that Neil sent you and Jared 's pictures. It also uses the same attaching pivot and bolt except I think it mounts on the outside of the frame. I'll check mine today and get a picture.
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Post by Neil Wilson »

The first photograph is the wheel carrier for the 1931 187-A platform. It is riveted to the #5 chassis rear cross member at the front (3 rivets per hinge). The rear hinge and bolt assembly is riveted to the platform rear cross member. The Jared275 pictures are also for a '31 187-A platform.

The wheel carrier drawing (with the short front hinges) is for the 88-A platform from Jan. 1930 to Feb. 1931.

The under frame (side to side) wheel carrier is not shown above. It is for the '31 AA157.
Regards, Neil Wilson
giffs30
Body Type: aa flatbed

Post by giffs30 »

rollingsclupture i will try to send you a picture this weekend, the picture of your sample truck is the truck i ended up buying in MIi. so i will get pictures from under it .
Shorthaul

Post by Shorthaul »

Rolling,
Attached are two photos of my carrier, the carrier has long hinges and the latching bolt is flat with 4 holes like the one in your photo.

This carrier is off a 157 wb parallel frame, stake type AA

rollingsculpture

Shorthaul thanks for the pics of your carrier , i passed on a side mounting carrier like yours to bob c on this site some time ago , that i located in illinois as far as i know he used it. im curious though if i had bought it could i have just taken the hinge pins out and used the carrier portion ? i see the bolt fastener is mounted to the frame and is different so i couldn't use that , but does the carrier itself measure out to 33 inches like the first pic in this thread ? let us know , since they are so hard to come by and expensive when they do , i think the one i passed on to bob was 100 bucks cheap, and i know the one i saw that was correct for me which i saw at Hershey last fall was 300 bucks expensive ,but was complete with bolt . The one i just won on e-bay i got for 150 bucks, missing the bolt and i will need to unhinge at the pins since it has the shorter hinges. i luckly have the longer straps still attached to the #5 crossmember on the frame as the ol farmboys just torched the carrier off to get it out of the way .
Attachments
carrier hinges.jpg
carrier hinges.jpg (29.77 KiB) Viewed 6035 times
Drew Mashburn

Post by Drew Mashburn »

Shorthaul:

My spare tire carrier appears to be exactly like yours. Neil Wilson helped me determine that my 157" Stakebed is an early '31. Do you know what month your truck was manufactured? My frame is parallel too. The carrier's two hinges are bolted, not riveted, to the driver's-side frame rail. Two bolts per hinge.

I live in Ojai which is in Southern California too. I see you live in Hawthorne.

-- Drew
Drew Mashburn
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr

Post by Bob C »

Rollingsculpture, I measured the tire carrier on my 31 swb and it is about 3" shorter than
the one you hooked me up with for the lwb side mount carrier so it would not be right for you truck.
Bob
giffs30
Body Type: aa flatbed

Post by giffs30 »

here's pictures

Shorthaul

Post by Shorthaul »

Drew,

Yeah, were almost neighbors
I think my truck manufactured in March 1931. Like yours my carrier was bolted to the left frame and the latch bolt is riveted to the right.

Rolling--.

I will measure my carrier tomorrow. I wasn't aware of that configuration hinge you have, it's different than the drawing Neil sent you and I was confused about the narrow strips in the hinge assy. Glad you included the picture

My wide hinges are 9 1/4" long I think, looks about the same as yours. Interesting :?
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

Yep, the '31 AA157 carrier has the same size front hinges as the '31 AA131 and 187-A platform. The 187-A platform has the support straps because the hinges must extent straight back. The AA157 hinges just hang down.

The '31 AA157 wheel carrier is 36" long.
Attachments
xAA-1451 Wheel Carrier.jpg
xAA-1451 Wheel Carrier.jpg (26.25 KiB) Viewed 6009 times
Regards, Neil Wilson
rollingsculpture

so giffs truck is missing the support straps and seems to be riveted by a short hinge strap to the crossmember thus the wood block to keep from hitting the rear differential housing ?