Making an AA steer easier

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Bobs_AA
Model Year: 1930

Making an AA steer easier

Post by Bobs_AA »

Anyone had experience making an AA steer easier? Mine steers great off the ground (everything is moving freely) but is heavy on the ground. I've heard of F-100 box conversions, shorter pitman arms, teflon draglink kits, what works the best?
Thanks,
Bob's AA
Northern Illinois
fordman88
Model Year: 1929

Re: Making an AA steer easier

Post by fordman88 »

hey there! i had the same problem with my first one. my biggest problem was the bearings on top of the kingpins. the bearing is ontop of the spindle. it is there to take all of the weight of the truck and put it on the kingpin. if this bearing is bad, it wont turn easly when it has weight on it. also there are shims that go on that bearing so that the spindle rests against the bearing and not the axle, if its against the axle, then it will be a lot harder to steer with weight on it! les andrew's mechanic vol 1 book explains this a bit better than me and with a few pics.

also, i did shorten one of my pitman arms 1.5 inches and it did help a bit.
Trevor O Davis
Brian T
Body Type: 82A
Model Year: 1929

Post by Brian T »

Hello Bob,
From what I have read on FordBarn about installing a F100 steering box it will steer easier, but will accentuate any other problems in the steering .
It is better to repair the loose pieces first , steering balls , tie rod and drag links , king pins , steering box etc , (I went thru my box for less than $200) which now contains oil, not dried up grease.
I don’t believe there is much you can do about steering effort when at a standstill, I wish there was, my worn out elbows would love it.
Nothing can be made fool proof, fools are ingenious bastards.
tiredtruckrestorer
Model Year: 1931

Post by tiredtruckrestorer »

Hello Bob,

There are a few things you can try to make your AA steer easier. First, there is a needle bearing conversion to replace the sector shaft bushings in your steering box that should help. I used the teflon style tie rod and drag link kit and believe they help too. One thing though, make sure the balls they ride on are good and round. If they are egg shaped, often the adjusters are turned in farther to take the play out, only to cause the ball to bind as it turns causing hard steering. Also just overtightening the adjusters will cause hard steering on good balls. As fordman88 stated, the kingpin bearing must be in good shape, but if your truck is the '30 dump pictured, these bearings are under the axle but still carry all the weight of the trucks frontend. Greasing the bottom kingpin bushing good should force grease up into these bearings. Hope something here might help.

Keith
Hayslip
Model Year: 1930

Post by Hayslip »

Shortening the pitman arm increases the turning circle. Who would want that? Compared with the previous model TT truck the AA takes a lot more turns since there are brake rods in the way and a longer wheel base.
Hayslip