Hydraulic Conversion

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
SHELBY MESSER
Body Type: 75-A
Model Year: 1930

Re: Hydraulic Conversion

Post by SHELBY MESSER »

I took a look and measured the backing plate on my 1955 dodge 4X4 power wagon. The backing plate measures around 15" with the lugs are 4" center. If any one has a dodge power wagon you may won't to check to see what it will take to adapt these to the AA for juice brakes. I'm not taking mine down to see if it would work because I'm not interested in juice brakes at all. Though some of you may be interested to know this for your project!!!!! Shelby, Louisiana.
manyolkars

Post by manyolkars »

It seems to me that if the original brakes worked OK when hauling 1 1/2 tons in 1931, it ought to be OK now.

However, I have been thinking about Hydraulics and wonder if the 1939 1 1/2 ton hydraulic brakes will bolt on to my 31, much like everyone has been doing for 70 years on the 1/2 ton Fords.
I have a 39 1 1/2 ton that I am stripping for everything worthwhile and we may find out the answer when I get around to it.
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed
Model Year: 1931

Post by spectria »

manyolkars wrote:It seems to me that if the original brakes worked OK when hauling 1 1/2 tons in 1931, it ought to be OK now.

However, I have been thinking about Hydraulics and wonder if the 1939 1 1/2 ton hydraulic brakes will bolt on to my 31, much like everyone has been doing for 70 years on the 1/2 ton Fords.
I have a 39 1 1/2 ton that I am stripping for everything worthwhile and we may find out the answer when I get around to it.
Please let us know when you know. Thanks
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org
oldtimetowing

Post by oldtimetowing »

This may help to answer two long threads for AA trucks, how to go fast and how to stop it. I did the 1990 Great Race and the previous year (or maybe two years prior) Pick-A-Part, a vehicle dismantler/salvage pool company in the LA area, ran a 1929 AA truck in the race. It had some modifications that enabled it to run at freeway speeds and, according to one of their the crew, it also had hydraulic brakes installed. I'm trying to find my notes/race stuff on the subject in my archieves, also know as the stuff in the garage, without sucess so far. When I locate the info I will post it
Personally, it would be nice to have a little more speed etc but for now my AA is stock and is going to stay pretty much that way.
manyolkars

Post by manyolkars »

There is a guy in Arkansas making high speed gears for Ford TT trucks.
It might be a good idea to talk to him about hi speed AA gears