rebiulding rear diff

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
fordman88
Model Year: 1929

rebiulding rear diff

Post by fordman88 »

me again! haha told yall i had a Lot of questions!! this one is about the rear ends. how do i go about checking the bearings in the rear diff? i got my first one apart and the bearings look good and so do the races in the housing ans on the third member, but how do i figure out how much play there is? the mechanics hand book (red one) goes into great detail on how to check the regular A banjo rearend bearings and how to shim and soforth. i dont see any kind of shim or where a shim were to go if i needed it, let alone how i would know if i needed it. it kinda seems to be a "non servicable" part! haha thanks again!! yall are helping me a great deal!
Trevor O Davis
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed
Model Year: 1931

Re: rebiulding rear diff

Post by spectria »

fordman88 wrote:...but how do i figure out how much play there is? the mechanics hand book (red one) goes into great detail on how to check...
I hate to admit it, but I don't have this "Mechanics Handbook, (red one)" and I want one.

Anybody care to name it and tell me where to get it, Please?

Dave
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org
flatford39
Body Type: Express
Model Year: 1928

Post by flatford39 »

spectria wrote:
fordman88 wrote:...but how do i figure out how much play there is? the mechanics hand book (red one) goes into great detail on how to check...
I hate to admit it, but I don't have this "Mechanics Handbook, (red one)" and I want one.

Anybody care to name it and tell me where to get it, Please?

Dave
Mac's in New York sells both the red manual & the green one if I remember correctly.

Tom
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr

Post by Bob C »

I would get a copy of the Ford Service Bulletins, it tells how to service the rear end
and just about any other component on the A and AA.
Boomer
Body Type: 82-A Closed Cab

Post by Boomer »

I believe the red manual he is referring to is the Les Andrews Model A Ford Mechanic's Handbook - Volume 1.
Drew N.

1929 AA Closed Cab

Skol Vikings!
rich29
Body Type: grain

Post by rich29 »

Hey fordman if you have access to a service bulletins book look on pages 413,545,556-57,564 and 576 this will explain shimming and backlash adj. plus more for the AA bevel gear rear
fordman88

Post by fordman88 »

yea i was reffering to les's books. i will see if i cant find something on the service bulletin here at the library after i get off of here.

all three of my AAs have the worm drive. the 28 has a lil diffrent case but other than that they are all the same.
Trevor O Davis
fordman88

Post by fordman88 »

where might be the best place for me to find a copy of the service bulletins yall are always talking bout? bout how much will it cost? im sure it will be worth every penny either way! hahaha
Trevor O Davis
rich29
Body Type: grain

Post by rich29 »

Snyders model A parts. Cost 39.95 there may be other places like MACS or Brattons
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr

Post by Bob C »

Bratton's has a paperback copy for $16.50.
Brian T
Body Type: 82A

Post by Brian T »

Hello Trevor,
The AA worm axle was a carry over from the model T , Snyder’s have a book on the worm axle repairs in the Model T section, not sure how informative it is , the service bulletins are a must have book, (softbound) but they have no overhaul instructions for worm drives.
If the bearings look good and the bronze gear is not badly pitted then myself I would clean and reseal it, gaskets and seals are available.
Attachments
WORM DIFF.JPG
WORM DIFF.JPG (81.93 KiB) Viewed 4745 times
WORM DRIVE MODEL T.jpg
WORM DRIVE MODEL T.jpg (48.12 KiB) Viewed 4745 times
Nothing can be made fool proof, fools are ingenious bastards.