gas tank rust

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
bdotson
Body Type: aa
Model Year: 1928

gas tank rust

Post by bdotson »

I found a 28 gas tank today out side was primed so I dont know what is under the primer. The inside has rust and rust scale in it. I put water in the tank and found no leaks yet. What is the best way to handle the rust inside the tank? any products that you have used and liked ?
miner art
Body Type: AA flt.BD.82a
Model Year: 1929

Re: gas tank rust

Post by miner art »

Rust, not to worry,Just take it to a radiator shop,they will boil it out and line it,Mite i add for a "SMALL FEE" :lol:
Art
flatford39
Body Type: Express

Post by flatford39 »

Not sure I would worry to much abbout getting it lined if it doesn't leak now. Henry didn't. Geting it boiled out at a radiator shop is the easiest way to get them clean. After the boil out inspect the area around the steering column bracket and the fuel shut off as these were stress areas that would develop leaks over the years.

Tom
Roadster AA
Body Type: 82A

Post by Roadster AA »

This is what I did with mine,and it worked great!
I took out the gas gauge and the drain shut off, and I duck taped the hole. I tied a rope through where the wires and speedometer cable goes. Then I tied it to a branch on a tree so it hung about shoulder length. I put 12 rocks about 1-1/2 inches Dia. in the tank and put the gas cap on. Then I tipped the tank UP then DOWN, back and forth. I did this for about 15 minutes. Then I took the cap off and turned it upside down to let all the loose rust fall out along with the 12 rocks. Then I did that two more times. Making sure I have all 12 rocks. After that I used Gas tank sealer that you can buy in most Model A parts books. I used Snyders. And sealed the tank. I have not had any problem after I did that. My screen has been very clean.
Pat
modeleh
Model Year: 1930

Post by modeleh »

You can also put a length of chain in the tank instead of the rocks. In the past, some guys have jimmied up the tank onto an engine stand so they can spin it around. Even going so far as cobbling up a belt drive from an electric motor, kind of like a cement mixer.
farmerden
Body Type: AAC

Post by farmerden »

That's what I like about this forum-There's a solution for every budget!! A Model T buddy of mine used to use coarse aquarium gravel -it had sharp corners.Just shake it around like a Martini !! Den :lol:
Brian T

Post by Brian T »

Here is a picture from Fordbarn Forums of a 28-29 fuel tank cut open showing the baffles on each side, it may not be possible to get much gravel behind the baffles and can be difficult to remove.
Hot tanking and power flushing maybe best, do a research on the tank sealants, some are not compatible with fuel containing ethanol, which can cause the sealant to soften, and plug up the fuel system.
Attachments
2829GasTank.jpg
2829GasTank.jpg (94.73 KiB) Viewed 5845 times
Nothing can be made fool proof, fools are ingenious bastards.
REM

Post by REM »

It doesn't look like the baffles come to the top of the tank. If turned upside down it should be easy to work the gravel to the center section and get it out.
rollingsculpture
Body Type: platform
Model Year: 1931

Post by rollingsculpture »

so heres two questions , does the gas stay in the center portion or does it flow into the outer portions as well , how many gallons does a full gas tank usually hold?
REM

Post by REM »

The gas fills all sections of the tank and it holds about 10 gal.
The hole the gas flows out of is in the right end section of the tank.

Correction.
I believe the outlet is in the center section as I think I remember looking in the gas cap and seeing the outlet.
rollingsculpture
Body Type: platform
Model Year: 1931

Post by rollingsculpture »

that is what made me think is it possible the gas stays in the middle only with splash going over the edge , i have never filled a tank before so i wondered how do you know where to stop , i would imagine you dont just fill to the brim.
Chris Haynes

Post by Chris Haynes »

What you cant see in the photo are the holes in the bottom of the baffles that let gas flow to the outside areas.
Brian T

Post by Brian T »

Here is a picture of the 30-31 tank that has extra baffles, there are several places that can trap the gravel in early and late tanks, it would not be a problem if it stayed trapped, but once loose could be annoying rolling around when braking and turning.
Attachments
3031GasTank.jpg
3031GasTank.jpg (98.29 KiB) Viewed 5765 times
Nothing can be made fool proof, fools are ingenious bastards.