32 bb service car

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
29aaman
Model Year: 1930

32 bb service car

Post by 29aaman »

hi neil, i was at the towe ford museum in sacramento on sunday and they are restoring a 32 bb it has the same hot riveted rear crossmember as a 31 service car and the u shaped attachment that service cars had and the long and wide running boards that service cars have with dual wheels my question is did they make a service car 32 bb? thanks rich
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

Hello Rich,
According to the book "Ford Trucks Since 1905", the 229-A Service body production was discontinued in 1932 due to poor sales in 1931. This book has a picture of a 1934 dual wheel, 131-1/2" BB fitted with a 229-A Service body which is modified to not wrap the cab. The caption indicates that the excess inventory from 1931 took several years to dispose of.

I assume that the rear cross member and u shaped attachment you mentioned is the optional towing clevis available for the AA Service Car in 1931. This setup would have to be modified to fit the '32 parallel frame.
Regards, Neil Wilson

a pic

Post by manyolkars »

Will someone please post a picture of the service car? Thanks
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

Hello manyolkars,
I don't know how to post a picture on the site. If you send me an e-mail to wilsmor@juno.com I will send you a pictures of a Service Car.
Regards, Neil Wilson

Re: 32 bb service car

Post by ssalazar »

[quote="29aaman"]hi neil, i was at the towe ford museum in sacramento on sunday and they are restoring a 32 bb it has the same hot riveted rear crossmember as a 31 service car and the u shaped attachment that service cars had and the long and wide running boards that service cars have with dual wheels my question is did they make a service car 32 bb? thanks rich[/quote]

From what I have read there were 1000 bodys built. 500 sold. Thats right there is 500 out there un accounted for. I suspect that they were installed on 32,33,34 or untill they were all gone. Ill check that truck out on my next trip.