new dizzy / timing

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
av8
Body Type: flat bed
Model Year: 1930

new dizzy / timing

Post by av8 »

Can anybody please tell me the best way to time the distributor, I've fitted a new one with modern points, just want to know where to set the advance and retard, points gap I think is 18thou, and I know you get tdc by using the timing pin (can you get it 180 out?). Where do you point the rotor arm is it in the centre of number one pin on the dizzy
Thanks Andy
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr
Model Year: 1931

Re: new dizzy / timing

Post by Bob C »

AV8, Check out Marco's web page on timing.
http://www.abarnyard.com/workshop/timing.htm

Bob
flatford39
Body Type: Express
Model Year: 1928

Post by flatford39 »

Yes, you can be a 180 degrees out. A simple way to set the timing is to take number one spark plug out and put your thumb over the hole. When you feel compression you are near TDC. When the dowel slips into the timing gear mark you are there. The rotor should be pointing at number one & yes the point gap is 18thou. It really depends on the motor you are working on as to where to set the rotor position. I have had pretty good luck generally pointing it a little behind the number one terminal in the distributor cap.

Good Luck,

Tom
vtwinsideways
Body Type: 82-A, 88-A
Model Year: 1929

Post by vtwinsideways »

Another tip, use a small phillips screwdriver instead of the pin to locate the hole on the camshaft gear. I've seen guys grind their pins to a point, or drill the hole in the gear deeper, but I can't remember to drill the gear while it's not in the engine, and I'm not a fan of grinding the pin. Luke
"I get all my exercise jumping to conclusions."
Luke in Illinois