wheels

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
RJ Scott
Model Year: 1930

wheels

Post by RJ Scott »

Does anyone know what other wheels will fit an AA lug pattern???
I plan to lower the overall height of my AA when it is complete and I figure the easiest way is to use smaller wheels and tires.
Surely there are some modern wheels that have the right bolt pattern???
Maybe someone can tell me of a website that either offers custom built wheels or has some kind of conversion chart that will tell me what options there is.
Thanks
RJ
powerwagon

AA Rims

Post by powerwagon »

The Lug pattern for an AA is the same as that of a 1941 - 1942 or 1943-1945 Military Dodge Powerwagon. The center whole in the Dodge rims is slightly larger. The AA rims won't fit over the Hub on the Dodge, but the Doge will go over the Ford hub. You'd have to check the brake drum size for clearance
Powerwagon

AA Rims

Post by Powerwagon »

Oh yeah! The Dodges are 16 inch split rim.

The 1943 - 1945 were often Bead lock Rims (Combat rims) kinda ugly for a Civilian truck.

Powerwagon@mercednet.com
RJ Scott

Wheels

Post by RJ Scott »

Thanks for the information.
I wonder how difficult it is to find any of these wheels, or if it would be worth my time. If the center hole is larger thant the Ford wheel's center hole, would the Dodge wheel hold the Ford hubcap??
Thanks, RJ
powerwagon

wheels

Post by powerwagon »

I can't answer the question about the hub caps. I know the Dodge is just a tadd bigger, might be able to find the wheel opening spec somewhere. I think the biggest caution would be to make sure the brake drums clear the wheel.

The rims would be available from any of the Powerwagon traders. They were used on military trailers for quite a while and I've know a bunch of farmers that used the trailers.

Vintage Powerwagon has them but I don't know what they would ask for them.
Richard Kinney

Post by Richard Kinney »

mr. scott , please be advised about interchanges of wheels. although the "bolt pattern" fits a given application , if the center hole does not hug the bearing hub you invite disaster. the lug bolts were never meant to carry all the loads the vehiles could encounter. happy motoring , dick kinney