Spring pivot help wanted

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
stautz@comcast.net
Body Type: 82A w/ 187A
Model Year: 1931

Spring pivot help wanted

Post by stautz@comcast.net »

My spring pivot shaft and bracket are severely worn.
I want to find the best way to repair and have read some of the posts... but I still don’t know how to start.
1. Should I remove them and take them to a machine shop?
2. What type of machine shop could do that work?
3. Any idea how much it might cost?
4. Is there any possibility to find good ones?
Thanks for the help.
Steve Tautz - Denver - 9-1-31, 131WB, 82B, 187A
SHELBY MESSER
Body Type: 75-A
Model Year: 1930

Re: Spring pivot help wanted

Post by SHELBY MESSER »

You will have to remove the brackets either way you go. Any good machine shop can repair them for you. Bring them to a machine shop to get a rebuild price. But someone may have a set that you need. compare prices,make you decision. A repair would my first choice, because you have no wear on the rebuild. Call your local machine shop tell him what you have to get done and ask for a cost to have the work done. Tell him they are spring hanger brackets off a truck you are working on, Don't say it is on a Model AA ford or the price may go up somewhat. Shelby, away in Sacramento.
russ
Body Type: 82a

Post by russ »

Howdy stautz@comcast.net. There is a tool available out there made by an AA enthusiast that does a swell job of turning down the perch without removing the perch from the frame. I used it on my trashed pivots and they're good as new...'cept now they're a bit smaller in diameter than factory. Just have the machine shop make ya a pair of nice new bushings to fit the new smaller diameter of the perches.
Hopefully someone will chime in with further info regarding where to purchase the tool. Been a while since i bought mine and danged if i can't recall who makes 'em. Good tool though.
Best, russ
Everybody likes pics.
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A

Post by Chris Haynes »

russ wrote:Been a while since i bought mine and danged if i can't recall who makes 'em. Good tool though.
Best, russ
The memory is the second thing to go. :D
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

The AA'er who made the tool is Arnold Read and the e-mail I have for him is powellman@msn.com. I don't know if he can currently make the tool since he has moved and does not currently have a shop. Attached is a picture of the tool.

I am currently using one of his tools which I bought several years ago to work on one of my AA's.
Attachments
Photo5.jpg
Photo5.jpg (62.59 KiB) Viewed 3575 times
Regards, Neil Wilson
stautz@comcast.net
Body Type: 82A w/ 187A
Model Year: 1931

Post by stautz@comcast.net »

I took my spring pivots to a machine shop and they said I had a few options. Does anyone have experience with any of these?

1. Machine down and install sleeve back to original 1.5" diameter
2. I think he called it "metal spray" to build back up to original diameter and machine to 1.5"
3. Machine as little as possible (he thought 1.39") and create larger bronze bushing
4. Bore out 1.5" hole in mounting plate and press and weld in entire new spring pivot shaft.

Also does anyone know what the bushing grease design should look like?

Thanks for the advise.
Steve Tautz - Denver - 9-1-31, 131WB, 82B, 187A