Budd wheels

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Harvey
Model Year: 1930

Budd wheels

Post by Harvey »

Someone please educate me on Budd wheels. I have been told that the best wheels to get for my 1930 AA flatbed project are the ones with a raised center. Supposedly. these were used in 1931 and later. (Exactly how much later I don't know.) From what I understand, the raised center not only adds strength to the lug holes, it also increases the separation between the dual rear tires.

I currently have three raised center wheels and three that aren't. I guess that maybe I should find another raised one to put on the rear and put non-raised ones on the front? Or will people laugh at me if all 6 of my rims aren't alike?

Where would I find 1 or 3 raised center rims in usable shape? I'm building this truck up to be a driver.

Thanks for your help.

Harvey
Houston, TX
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

Harvey,
See page 528 of the Ford Service Bulletins. The '30 style wheel had the off set changed which resulted in an increase of 1/4" between the center line of dual wheels.

There is a date stamped in the wheels (like 1-31) on the inside between two wheel bolt holes. 3-31 dated wheels of this variety have been found.

See page 552 of the Ford Service Bulletins. The reinforcement bead was added. This did not change the off set but added strength. This wheel started as early as 2-31 based on dated wheels found. It was used into '33.

For your '30 AA truck to be "restored", the wheels dated close to the month of your truck would be correct. Not easy to find correctly dated wheels!

For a driver, any combination will work. How often will you be carrying a full 1-1/2 ton load on rough roads? Probably the little extra strength of the '31/'33 wheel makes no difference if you are not going to have a heavey duty driver.

You can advertise for a '31/'33 style wheel and sell one of your '30/'31 style wheels on this forum. But only if not having a matched set of dual wheels bothers you.

Original tires for dual wheeled AA's were 6:00x20 (front and rear). Many AA'er like to put 6:50x20 tires on.
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by Harvey »

Thanks Neil!

Harvey