Looking for stakebed rack clamps

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Rosenkranswa
Model Year: 1930

Looking for stakebed rack clamps

Post by Rosenkranswa »

I have an early '30 AA Stakebed. Runs like a watch, and looks pretty good, but the original restorers were unable to find a set of rack clamps to finish the rack properly. Its OK and functional, but would like to find a set of 4 original rack clamps.

Anybody have any lying around, or a line on where I might find some?

Thanks for any assistance.
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

:?: The '30 stake racks for the 131-1/2" wheel base AA consist of one rack in the front, three racks on each side, and two racks in the rear. These racks require nine pairs of connections. There is one pair at each corner, two pair on each side and one pair at the back.

The question is - which rack connections are you looking for?
Regards, Neil Wilson

All of them

Post by Rosenkranswa »

My '30 131 technically has what I believe was called a "stock bed" on it used to haul livestock, rather than a "stake-bed". Racks were much taller than the stake, and fewer of them - one in front, 2 on each side, and 2 in back. There's a drawing of one on page 77 of the A/AA Truck Owner book. Mine has the racks cut down to stake-bed height.

My impression was that the rack clamps at each corner, and between the two side and two rear racks, were the same clamp - just mounted differently, but I could well be wrong. Whatever is correct, I don't have any, and sounds like I need the 4-corner clamps, and 3 side/back clamps.

Also looking for the rear stakes. I understand the portion of the stake that goes into the socket on the rear is slightly smaller than the side stakes,and has a spring catch on the bottom to keep it from coming out. I fashioned something out of wood which looks and works OK, but I know isn't right.

Again, any help appreciated.

Wayne in Malvern, PA
Neil Wilson

Post by Neil Wilson »

The stock racks shown on page 77 of the McMillan book has only one rack per side (not two). The stakes are about 60" above the cargo floor.

What is the height of your stakes from the cargo floor (or total length)?

The 1928 through 2/31 stake rack stakes are 26-1/16" above the cargo floor (29-3/8" total length). The rear stakes are the same size as the side stakes. The right center stake has the latch for a square hole in the pocket. I have four of these stakes for sale (three are $35 each and one is $25 (or $120 for all four). I have pictures of them also. I also have a detailed drawing of the latch for the one stake. I made one for my set of racks.

The 3/31 to end of production stake rack stakes are 41-3/4" above the cargo floor (45-1/2" total length). These later stakes were used for many years after the Model AA with only slight changes to the reinforcement on the lower inside of the stake. The rear stakes are the same as the side stakes.

I know a guy who has some of the 45-1/2" tall stakes for sale. So, depending on what length you need. Maybe we can help.

I know a place in Denver, CO who makes truck bodies (modern day). They have rack connections which are very close to originals (and they a cheap). The hook end of the connections are bigger than original and can be ground down like original or used as is. There information is as follows (they will know nothing about Model A’s if you contact them):

Kois Brothers Equipment Co.,5200 Colorado Blvd., Commerce City, CO 80022, 303-298-7370, http://www.koisbrothers.com, e-mail - koisbros@koisbros.com
Stake Rack Connections (as of 4/02 - left hand B-2585L $1.36, right hand B-2585R $1.63, left corner B-2591L $1.75, right corner B-2591R $1.75).

You should join the Ford Model AA Truck Club. I will send you a membership form if you send me your email address to wilsmor@juno.com. We have newsletter back issues showing the above mentioned stakes with details about the racks. Included are detailed drawings of the connections.
Regards, Neil Wilson

Thanks very much for the info.

Post by Rosenkranswa »

Thanks very much for the info. My stakes are apparently slightly smaller than original at 23 inches, but do show signs of being cut down. Also, my side racks are one piece. Again, I had assumed that since the stake bed racks broke between the closer stakes, so did the stock bed. Very glad to know they didn't before a took a saw to them.

I'll e-mail you directly about your stakes.

Wayne in Malvern
Neil Wilson

Post by Neil Wilson »

Page 61 and 66 of the McMillan book shows the stake racks. The sides have three racks.

Does the rear racks of your truck have the sliding (up/down) gate as shown for the stock racks?

Ford sold grain sides for the platform in 1929 (these will also fit the 1930 trucks since the platform is the same body). There is one side rack with six stakes for the grain sides. These stakes are a total of 23-3/16" tall. The tops are closed however. So your stakes are probably not this style since you said they appear cut off.
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by Rosenkranswa »

Truck was missing the rear racks completely when we got it. I made up a set from wood to close the rear off for parades (don't want Girl Scouts tumbling onto the pavement). Interesting that the grain-bed height is the same as my stakes. Mine are definately cut off though and not closed on top. Still, makes you wonder if they took dimensions from a grain body, or if they just wanted to clear the rear window.

The truck also has a pair of Maremount Helper Springs on the rear. Our understanding from several locals where we bought the truck (South-Central Iowa) was that it probably originally had a tank body on it and was used to haul water and kerosine out to the steam combines in the fields. After several years of doing that, the tanks were taken off and a platform put on for hack duty. Ours is an original Ford bed though, which is either fortuitous, or the tanker story's not quite right.